Q. Kindly advise the treatment for leg pain and soft tissue injury.

Dr. Arti Sharma
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

Before 20 days, I went to a party, got drunk and met with a fall. My leg started paining from the next day. I could not walk without it hurting. I went to A and E and they said it was just a soft tissue injury. Still now, I am having pain and not able to bend it properly or fully extend it without being uncomfortable. I am also struggling to walk anywhere far. It got seized up today whilst in the shower and I could barely move my leg. It just clamped up. Please help.

Dr. Arti Sharma

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I understand your pain and concern.

• It is possible that you have suffered a muscle sprain. I advise you to try RICE approach (rest, ice, compression and elevation) for it.
  • Rest the sprained part for at least 48 to 72 hours completely. Do not use it.
  • Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel for 20 minutes after every two to three hours. This will help decrease the swelling.
  • Compress it with an elastic compression bandage and immobilize it. Elevate the leg above heart level and keep it on a big pillow for at least a few hours a day.
  • Take anti-inflammatory medication prescribed by your doctor for pain. Most sprains heal within a week or two weeks.
  • Surgery is not helpful in cases of sprains. Please try doing all this.
  • If you feel that your pain is not subsiding, it is increasing or the swelling is increasing, then see your specialist doctor as soon as possible to rule out any bone injury.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

How is facet hypertrophy treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »

My eyes become reddish and watery when exposed to bright light. Is it due to contact lens?

Query: Hi doctor, I am wearing contact lenses of -2.5 on both eyes. Since last week, whenever I get exposed to bright light (both indoor and outdoor), my eyelids get closed, and it is hard to get it open for a while, which makes eyes more reddish and watery. I have not consulted any doctor, but I have been...  Read Full »

What are the surgical options available for a sprained ankle?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion for surgical options for a grade 3 sprained ankle. I have attached herewith the MRI results. The results show a ruptured anterior tibiofibular ligament and a partial tear of the posterior tibiofibular ligament with disruption of distal tibiofibular sy...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now