Q. My 10 months old daughter has cross-eye with normal focus. Will it corrrect on its own?

Dr. Dada Peer K
Published on Nov 07, 2019

My daughter is 10 months old and has a little cross-eyed. Her eyes movements are normal, and so focusing on objects and all behavior seems normal. I was told by our family pediatrician that it is minor and might go away as time passes. Please check the attached photo and let me know your opinion.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed the history and saw the photos. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Squint or crossing of the eyes needs evaluation and treatment. In your daughter's case who is 10 months old, the first thing to be done is differentiating pseudosquint from the squint. Pseudosquint does not require any treatment. If it is true squint it requires evaluation by an eye doctor or preferably by a pediatric ophthalmologist.

The tests required are:

1. Refraction to rule out accommodative squint.

2. Visual assessment to rule out amblyopia.

The next treatment depends on the type of squint. In refractive or accommodative squint, only glasses are sufficient. In congenital squints, surgery may be required.

I would like to advise you that all squints require evaluation by an eye doctor. If the squint is diagnosed, early treatment is very important for correction and proper visual development. Hence, I advise you to consult an eye doctor or pediatric ophthalmologist without any delay for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment accordingly.

Is squint surgery safe?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a squint in my right eye. It is turned inwards by birth and I have no vision in my right eye. My left eye is 100% perfect. I met an eye specialist. He checked my squint and told that my vision is not recoverable. He advised me to get cosmetic eye muscle surgery. He said it in...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the documents and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have large angle esotropia (90PD) (a form of squint). As per my experience, operating two muscles will reduce the deviation, but will not correct it fully. As per my experi...  Read Full