Q. Why do I get black stains in my front teeth post delivery?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

My front upper two teeth developed black stains after six months of my delivery. Could you please prescribe a remedy for this? I am currently on Thyronorm 50.

#

I have gone through your query and attachment and understood your concern (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

From the picture, it looks like these black stains are not external stains and they are indeed an initial stage of tooth decay cavities). Unfortunately, no home remedies can remove this. This can be treated by a simple tooth filling procedure.

Since it is in a very initial stage, the treatment is very simple. The cavity affected layers of the tooth are gently removed and it will be replaced by a tooth color dental filling material which matches the shade of your teeth.

I suggest you get this procedure done at once before this cavity affects the larger portion of the tooth enamel. If your place is COVID-19 safe, then you can get this done at the earliest. If not, it is better to postpone for now.

Meanwhile, please follow these instructions to prevent it from getting bigger.

1. Brush your teeth twice daily with a medium or a soft-bristled toothbrush and a pea-sized amount of toothpaste and follow tongue cleaning too.

2. Rinse mouth after every meal to remove food deposits.

3. Avoid or limit intake of sticky and sugary foods like chocolates, toffee, biscuits, cream, baked foods, carbonated and colored beverages. If consumed, rinse mouth after eating to remove food deposits.

4. Warm salt water mouth rinsing will help reduce any infection if present. Swish it around for 30 seconds before spitting out. This remedy can be repeated as many times as required. (one pinch of salt in one glass of lukewarm water).

| 

May I know what is the reason for this tooth decay? Is it due to calcium deficiency?

#

The cause of tooth decay or cavity is multifactorial. It is an infection with certain type of bacteria present in the mouth that reacts with sugars in our food and produces acids. Mostly, the enamel attack is balanced by the minerals present in our saliva, especially calcium. During and after pregnancy, our nutrition profile might be a little compromised. Hence many women experience new decays especially during this period.

So yes, it could have contributed to increased cavity formation. But once the diet and the nutritional profile is stabilized, this increased susceptibility to cavities goes down. Also, the choice of diet and proper oral hygiene maintenance plays a vital role here.

Please do follow the instructions mentioned in the previous message and do take a good diet to regain compromised nutrition. This will help.

|