Q. How to prevent stammering?

Dr. Melissa Kate Cox
This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been suffering from stammering for the last 14 years. Now my age is 20. I am a male. I am facing difficulty while talking with others or when I read something. My tongue comes out while stammering. So, I am not talking with anyone now. Stammer has become a big problem in my life. Please help to get rid of this.

Dr. Melissa Kate Cox

Speech Therapist
#

I am sorry for your suffering.

• Have you tried breathing through the stammer?
  • When you feel the tension of a stammer coming on, take a deep breath and as you breathe out, say the phrase or short sentence you want to say.

For further information consult a speech therapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/speech-therapist

| 

Yes, I have tried that breathing technique before but it does not work well. What should I do to completely prevent the stammering? Is there any way? It becomes a big barrier in my life. I just want to come out of it. Kindly please provide me some advice.

Dr. Melissa Kate Cox

Speech Therapist
#

• Stuttering is very much a mystery. No one knows exactly where it comes from and there is no cure. There are tools one can use to manage stuttering.
  • For some, the muscular tension that seems to exacerbate stuttering can be relieved by the usual stress relievers of lifestyle.
  • I am a strong proponent of THC-free CBD oil (Cannabidiol). Therapeutic levels of this extract can decrease stress levels, making the tension that increases stuttering decrease.
  • CBD is perfectly legal and does not contain any psychoactive properties.

| 

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Ask a Speech Therapist Now