Q. I have a stammering problem when I have to speak in front of a crowd. Why?

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi
I m 32 yr old male no co morbids doctor by profession working Nephrologist.
Since childhood i have stammering problem. Not always but when speaking infront of mob. Or when giving presentation. Or when history taking from patient. Or reading book chapter infront of whole class. When ever i think of speaking then i start feeling tachycardia, palpitations, chest pain, headache, sweating. I usually have constipation. I used to take bromazepam before giving presentation or speaking infront of mob.
# Hello sir,
Am glad to help you as a Speech therapist. Mostly the more you get relaxed the better result you get. Some relaxation exercises like one word one tap and reducing rate of speech, open mouth approach, changing your suprasegmental aspect of speech will help a lot.

Don't anticipate and jus use the techniques like at the begining you can utter mmmmmm then start your sentence for practice or prolong the word where you feel you are getting blocked. Do not force yourself to utter whenever you get stucked. Just stop saying anything ,inhale a bit and start it again. Breathing exercises and holding breathing and exhaling with control will help a lot. like inhale (throaco-abdominal) then hold your breath count 10 then exhale slowly with the count of 10,gradually you can achieve it.

Start interacting with unknown people from your side with relaxed manner and apply the techniques without their knowledge. inhale after every 4-5 words .

Let me know if you need any further help sir.Thank you for your query .A detailed assessment is needed for proper intervention .

| 

Why does puberphonia occur?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. My voice sounds like a girl's voice. Whenever someone hears my voice over the phone, then often respond me as if I am a girl. I have heard that this can be corrected through speech therapy and voice therapy. Please guide me about this.  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine for constant chest and neck pain due to smoking.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a smoker and have been smoking for 20 years. I can feel the stress of smoke while I breathe normally. But now I have constant minor chest ache probably in the lungs. I also have been facing a problem of pain in the neck and lower pain. This increases in the night when I am lying ...  Read Full »

How to prevent stammering?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from stammering for the last 14 years. Now my age is 20. I am a male. I am facing difficulty while talking with others or when I read something. My tongue comes out while stammering. So, I am not talking with anyone now. Stammer has become a big problem in my life. P...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Speech Therapist Now