Q. Can HIV be transmitted through fingering or sharing a Jacuzzi?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

I recently went to a spa, and I had a back-to-back session with the masseuse. However, she insisted on having sexual intercourse. I declined. But I fingered her, after which there was a massive outflow of vaginal fluid. The fingers I used had no cuts or wounds. So, am I still at risk of contracting HIV? Although the HIV status of the masseuse is unknown, she was very slim but looked relatively healthy. We later shared a jacuzzi. Is HIV waterborne? It has been six days since then, is it too late to start the PEP/PrEP course, and is it required?

For your reference, I am uploading pictures of my fingers and feet abraded due to an itch. Can you tell me if HIV can be transmitted through minor abrasions?

#

Thank you for writing in, and I understand your concern. I went through your pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The chances of transmission of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by fingering are highly impossible. This is because your skin was intact at the time, and skin is an effective barrier. Based on how you described earlier, there are no such reports of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) transmission through the water. Post-exposure prophylactic drugs (PEP) must be taken immediately and not after 72 hours post-exposure. I do not see the need for prophylactic post-exposure medicines (PEP) relying on your details.

Hope this helped.

|