Q. Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

Dr. Kakkar

Last reviewed at: May 27, 2019

My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

No, if you had sex with someone who has never had sex with anyone else before you then you cannot get an STD. STDs are only transmitted from an infected sexual partner. So, if it is the first time sex for someone then obviously that person has never been exposed to STDs.

For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

So I am not exposed to getting HIV or HPV? Because I have been feeling weak. Should I still get tested for any STDs?

Dr. Kakkar

#

If you are sure that it was the first ever sexual contact of your partner with you and no one else before you, then there is nothing to fear of STDs. However, if you are not sure about the past sexual history of your partner, then you may get tested for STDs because unprotected sex is not safe.

Why am I having sharp pain in my vagina when I pee?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 16 years old female. I urge to pee quite often. I have a sharp pain in my vagina when I pee. I have the urge to pee frequently. But when I go to the toilet, I do not have the urge to pee. Is this due to UTI or STD?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These symptoms are common in both STD (sexually transmitted diseases) and UTI (urinary tract infections). If you do not have vaginal discharge or any history of unprotected sex, then UTI is the cause. You can confirm the diagnosis with the following tests. You can do ur...  Read Full

Can unprotected sex on third day of period cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I and my fiancee had unprotected sex on the third day of her period. I did not ejaculate inside her. And she also has the history of an irregular period but from the past three months, she is getting her regular period. I just want to know what are the chances of pregnancy.  Read Full >>

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and understand your concerns. As you had unprotected sex, the chances of pregnancy are there in your case but as it is done on the third day of menses that is why there is no chance of pregnancy in your case. These symptoms could be d...  Read Full

I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?

Query: Hello doctor,Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, ideally speaking, I feel tests are the need of the hour, as there are unprotected sexual encounters (oral sex) with high-risk individuals (commercial sex workers). Considering the future implications of any...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now