Q. Redness in my penis after intercourse is worsening after taking antibiotics. Why?

Dr. Bn Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 25, 2021 and last reviewed on: Nov 01, 2021

I think I have an STD, so I answered some questions on a medication website and was prescribed antibiotics. I have been taking them for two days now, and I feel like it is getting worse. I had intercourse approximately four weeks ago with someone with a yeast infection. I did not find out till later. Then had oral sex with another person a week ago. About four days ago, I noticed slight redness at the tip around the penile urethra. Yesterday I noticed a sticky substance on the urethra, and today there is a slight burning sensation. I have been taking Doxycycline and Azithromycin for two days. Kindly guide me.

#

Infections like N.gonorrhoea (Neisseria gonorrhoeae) and chlamydia can get easily transmitted with oral sex and sex without a condom.

Symptoms of the above infections are pus-like discharge, burning sensation during urination, swelling or redness at the opening of the penis, lower abdominal pain, etc. It has to be simultaneously assessed for infection by above bacteria or organism by NAATs (nucleic acid amplification test) of first-catch urine. Appropriate antibiotics should be taken for the appropriate duration for their management.

Since you have a sexual history with symptoms, it could be because of the above infections. The best will be for you to get tested in the STD (sexually transmitted disease) clinic as soon as possible. Antibiotics that you are taking are given as part of the management of the infections. It has to be taken in the appropriate dose for the appropriate duration. In case of N.gonorrhoea infection, another injectable antibiotic (one-shot) has to be given.

So, I would suggest, visit an STD clinic and see a doctor and get appropriate treatment as early as possible with tests if required.

I hope this was helpful.

|