Q. I have grade 1 fatty liver and aiming for weight loss. Please suggest a diet plan.

Dr. Afroze Gul

I have grade 1 fatty liver. I am 154 cm in height and weigh about 65 kg. I am trying to lose weight. Can you suggest me a diet to cure my fatty liver as well as reduce my weight?

Dr. Afroze Gul

Dietician Nutritionist
#

Here are some nutritional guidelines that you need to follow. I will tell in detail about the foods that you need to include in your diet.

Include nuts in your diet especially almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts. All types of nuts have healthy fats in them which have been proved to be healthy by a bundle of researches done over the years. They do not have cholesterol and the fat in them does not lead to weight gain. Instead, studies are consistently showing that nuts lower the cholesterol levels of an individual. Nuts can prove very beneficial to have satiety (satisfaction) and in improving your blood glucose levels.

They can control your hunger prangs while providing you satisfaction. In this way, they can assist in weight loss. You can include nuts in your breakfast or can consume it as a snack in between meals. You can eat a handful of them or you can add them to your cereal, plain cornflakes, weetabix, porridge, sagudana, kheer, gravy or raw/boiled salads. You can also consume them in the form of milkshakes e.g. almond milkshake or you can simply mix almond or walnut powder in milk and consume it as a mid-morning snack or as an evening snack or before bed. Homemade almond or peanut butter is also good. You can use honey or brown sugar 1.5 tablespoons on a daily basis.

Include seeds in your diet (basil seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds). You can season them on your salads, in your milk, milkshakes, yogurt, porridge. Basil seeds need to be soaked in water before use. Chia seeds are eaten both raw as well as soaked. Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are eaten raw.

Use olive oil. Season it on your salads, egg, toast, fish, lean meat. Extra virgin olive oil can be used for cooking as well.

You can use edible corn oil, sunflower oil, mustard oil, soy bean oil for cooking.

Add more vegetables and fruits in your diet. Use more green leafy vegetables.

Add whole grains in your diet (whole wheat, oats, barley). Do not use refined and polished flours. White flour is also a refined flour.

Use fish, poultry, red meat (use lean cuts).

Use low-fat dairy products and sugar-free as well. Strain milk before use. Make home-made yogurt using strained milk.

Do not drink any kind of juice or fizzy drinks. Juice made from juicer is also not allowed.

If one wants to drink juice, simply add one recommended fruit in water and grind it in a milk shake jug. Do not add sugar.

You can use boiled rice or tarke wala chawal twice a week only (one small plate). Do not consume rice in dinner.

Do not add sugar or artificial sweeteners in your daily foods. Do not use commercially prepared nut spreads. Do not use nuts with sauces, mayonnaise as both of them are fattening. Do not use nuts with added salt in them if you suffer from high blood pressure. Do not use margarine. Do not use flavored cornflakes. Limit the consumption of canned and tinned foods, biscuits, cakes and desserts.

| 

My mother has cervical spinal stenosis. How to move her from the bed to wheelchair?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 79 years old has a neurologist appointment in five days. She was recently diagnosed at the ER with spinal stenosis in the neck. However, I am very concerned that me moving her from the bed to the wheelchair is contributing to her daily decline and related symptoms. Her s...  Read Full »

What Is Oolong Tea?

Article Overview: Many individuals are putting on a lot of weight owing to their sedentary lifestyle. Sadly, this type of lifestyle has taken a negative toll on the health of the people. Interestingly, according to many research studies, a tea which has derived its origin from China has certain amazing properties of increasing the metabolism of a person by at least 20 percent on consuming it at least twice daily. Oolong tea contains certain antioxidants called as polyphenols which activate the enzyme lipase which in turn enhances fat breakdown. This aids with weight loss in individuals with higher waist circumference and a higher basal metabolic rate. It is a partially oxidized tea and available in colors intermediate between green and black tea. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Wellness Medicine Specialist

Following are some other benefits of oolong tea highlighted below Weight Loss Oolong tea is an intermediate between green tea and black tea, which means that it contains properties of both -that is, aiding metabolism through the catechins present in the tea as well as relieving stress in an indivi...  Read Article

Smart Ways to Lose Weight

Article Overview: Following a strict diet and exercise routine can be a difficult task for many. This article will explain how you can smartly lose weight without sacrificing your favorite food or without vigorous exercises. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Fitness Expert

Many people are tired of sacrificing their favorite food and unable to find extra time for a workout. We all know how difficult it is to reduce weight by controlling food habits and exercises. In this article, I will be giving you few tips to lose approximately 2 lbs of weight weekly just by perform...  Read Article

Ask a Nutritionist Now