Q. How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 23, 2020

Hello doctor,

My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is using them. Should he continue the same dosage of drugs or any changes in the prescription? Please suggest to me.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen the prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The same medications are continued for one year, and afterward, the dose is reduced. So, I would advise my patients to continue with these for a

total of one year if they do not have any symptoms or BP is well controlled.

However, I prefer to add antacids like Pantoprazole 40 or Rabeprazole 20 mg before breakfast once daily, along with these medications routinely in order to prevent gastritis or acidity. So you may discuss with your treating doctor.

Regarding Atorvastatin, 80 mg is also fine, but I prefer to keep patients on 40 mg once daily at this weight. Anyways, he may continue with 80 mg, as suggested by the treating doctor.

So, in my opinion, medications may be continued, and it is better to add antacids if not having.

I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

Is it fine to take Clopitab 75 mg tablet twice daily?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, I prefer to continue it twice daily for one year. Some doctors give it once daily from the beginning itself.

Thank you doctor,

My father got his stent surgery before six months, but still, his legs are swollen. Is this a normal issue, or should he need to be diagnosed immediately?

He has no other symptoms like breathlessness or chest pain. But his feet were swollen when he sits continuously for a longer time. When he goes for a walk, it seems to be reducing. Is it serious, or can he be treated with any home remedies? Please suggest.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

No, it is not a significant issue. It is likely related to Stamlo (Amlodipine). It is a common side effect of it. So the first step should be to change Stamlo to other medications like Cilnidipine 10 mg twice daily (equivalent to Stamlo 10 mg). If it does not subside, he will need a diuretic to increase urine output to clear the swelling.

Also, he should avoid excessive salt and water and elevate his legs as much as possible.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can CMV or herpes infection before or after birth affect pregnancy or child?

Query: Hello doctor, I am in 36th week of pregnancy. My last ultrasound was doppler happened at 34th week 5 days. I showed the pregnancy of 32 weeks 5 days with mild IUGR. Fetal weight 1885 grams. My gynecologist advised CBC, and Torch IgM, IgG tests. In the CBC test, total leucocyte count is 13300/cumm, ...  Read Full »

How should I control my BP in winter?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. In winter, My BP increases to around 160/105 mmHg; however, in summer, it is normal at 130/90 mmHg. I do not feel any problems yet such as headache. Now, I feel some shortness of breath. How should I control my BP in winter season? I have already started taking le...  Read Full »

How to normalize my high triglycerides?

Query: Hello doctor, My triglycerides are 296. Should I take some medicine to normalize it.? My total cholesterol is 183.  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.