Q. How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?

My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is using them. Should he continue the same dosage of drugs or any changes in the prescription? Please suggest to me.

#

I have seen the prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The same medications are continued for one year, and afterward, the dose is reduced. So, I would advise my patients to continue with these for a

total of one year if they do not have any symptoms or BP is well controlled.

However, I prefer to add antacids like Pantoprazole 40 or Rabeprazole 20 mg before breakfast once daily, along with these medications routinely in order to prevent gastritis or acidity. So you may discuss with your treating doctor.

Regarding Atorvastatin, 80 mg is also fine, but I prefer to keep patients on 40 mg once daily at this weight. Anyways, he may continue with 80 mg, as suggested by the treating doctor.

So, in my opinion, medications may be continued, and it is better to add antacids if not having.

Is it fine to take Clopitab 75 mg tablet twice daily?

#

Yes, I prefer to continue it twice daily for one year. Some doctors give it once daily from the beginning itself.

My father got his stent surgery before six months, but still, his legs are swollen. Is this a normal issue, or should he need to be diagnosed immediately?

He has no other symptoms like breathlessness or chest pain. But his feet were swollen when he sits continuously for a longer time. When he goes for a walk, it seems to be reducing. Is it serious, or can he be treated with any home remedies? Please suggest.

#

No, it is not a significant issue. It is likely related to Stamlo (Amlodipine). It is a common side effect of it. So the first step should be to change Stamlo to other medications like Cilnidipine 10 mg twice daily (equivalent to Stamlo 10 mg). If it does not subside, he will need a diuretic to increase urine output to clear the swelling.

Also, he should avoid excessive salt and water and elevate his legs as much as possible.

|