Q. Brother-in-law got a stent for stomach cancer and still not able to eat. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Nadiminty Raghuvamsi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

Hi doctor,

My brother-in-law has stomach cancer of a genetic type and the doctors were going to take his entire stomach out. My brother-in-law was constantly vomiting and could not keep food or even liquid down. So, the doctor put a stent in before 8 days and he had intense pain till two days. Now, the pain has subsided but he still cannot keep any liquid or food down, as he vomits after a while. He has not had any nourishment in days and his test showed that he is malnourished and he still cannot keep anything down. The doctors took an x-ray of the stent and said it is in place, but found two round things blocked, which I think is the gelatin from the jelly they gave him. So after this, a few hours later he tried some liquid and a number of hours later he vomited again. The doctor on all thinks it is the bowels and gave him enema and nothing has changed. Tomorrow they are going to take an x-ray of the bowel. What could be doing this? Would he require a stent for the bowel? What else can we do? What questions should we ask or what else can be done? I appreciate any information as the poor guy is being left aside waiting and not really getting much quick help. We do not want him to die malnourished either, since nothing else is being done. He is 49 years old. I appreciate your help.



Welcome to

I understand your concern.

  • Stenting for an inoperable carcinoma stomach is ideal as the patient can have food normally. But, it has been more than a week since stenting without any improvement, so it is better to be investigated.
  • Repeat endoscopy would be ideal to know if there is any block which can be relieved or to look for any displacement.
  • Bowel, which is the small and large intestine, if there is no movement in them, then he may still continue to vomit. It is difficult to comment on that without actually examining the patient.
  • I assume you have seen by a surgical oncologist or a gastroenterologist. Or else kindly visit any of the above to get the root of the problem.

For further doubts consult a surgical oncologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My dad had a heart attack. Can we wait for 2 to 3 days to do bypass surgery?

.. had a heart attack, then it is better to shift him to a higher center with facility for cardiac care like angiography is available. He will need further management like echocardiography, angiography, and stenting if significant blockages are th...   Read full

Please advise on nasopharyngeal carcinoma in a 17 year old male.

Hello doctor, This query is regarding nasopharyngeal carcinoma non-keratinizing ... It looks like a nasopharyngeal carcinoma (a head and neck tumor) ...   Read full

Can you help interpret my endoscopy results?

Conclusion: A - Body light gastritis ... B - Antral mild gastritis ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Surgical Oncologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.