Q. My husband gets frequent sharp cramps in right lower abdomen lasting for a minute. What could this be?

Dr. Lalit Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2020

My husband gets sharp cramping in the lower right side of the abdomen over a period of two months. It happens once or twice a week and lasts for a minute. We checked for appendicitis and kidney stones and all the reports are negative. We did a CT scan of the abdomen and it came normal but with a finding of stage 1 fatty liver. Can you please help me understand what is his issue?

Dr. Lalit Bansal

General Surgery
#

I will definitely help you.

Right lower abdomen pain has many reasons including appendicitis and kidney stones. There are some other reasons like indigestion of food, infection of the small intestine, or worm infestation. This may be functional also in which no cause is identified.

The main reasons are indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome in which all investigation were normal. So if a CT scan is normal and there are no other complaints like vomiting, bloody stool, urinary complaint, constipation then it must be functional due to indigestion. Avoid fatty and spicy food and lots of water have to be taken Give two-hour gap between dinner and going to bed.

Please get back to me if any of the above symptoms are there and attach an investigation report also for better help.

|