Q. My mother is suffering from uncontrollable bowel movements from morning. What to do?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My mother is 81 years old suffering from a fever of 38 degrees and cold. She is having LBM since this morning. From morning, her bowel movement is uncontrollable. What to do? What can be given to her?

#

I understand your concern. Mild fever is common during cold and there is no need to worry. Please mention the meaning of LBM. Please mention whether she has a sore throat or breathlessness.

LBM is called loose bowel movement.

#

Please mention how often she passed stools today.

No, she does not have a sore throat. She has stomach pain due to diarrhea.

#

Please mention how often she passed stools today. Please mention whether it was completely watery or semi-solid. Please mention whether her stomach pain got relieved after passing stools and mention whether she is diabetic.

She had her bowel movements around 5 o'clock in the morning, again during 6 o'clock in the morning, the third time was around 9 o'clock in the night and the fourth one was before going to bed.

#

Please mention whether she took her food from outside yesterday.

Her stool is watery and foul-smelling. After her second trip, her stomach pain got reduced. Before going to bed, she had her last trip. At that time, she had a stomach ache again. She is not diabetic but she has hypertension under control. No, she did not take food from outside yesterday.

#

It seems to be a stomach bug causing loose stools. Cold has occurred as a coincidence. Give her plenty of water to drink. You can give ORS (oral rehydration solution). Mix it in the water as per the instructions given on the packet and give it for four to six hours. This helps to maintain hydration and reduces stomach cramps. You can give yogurt to her and it helps to fight against stomach bugs. She will become fine within a day or two.

I will have a follow up after seeing her condition.

#

Let me know how she feels tomorrow.

Her stomach cramp has got reduced. But stool remains the same. Can I give Loperamide for diarrhea?

#

It looks like infective diarrhea and Loperamide cause more harm. Stomach bug infections are self-limiting and it will become alright within 24 to 48 hours. I suggest you consult a doctor soon if she has tiredness and if the frequency increases. If it remains the same, then you can wait for a day.

You have helped us a lot.

#

You are welcome. Take care.

|