Q. Is it possible to get stomach pain due to change in diet?

Answered by
Dr. Afroze Gul
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 16, 2020

Hello doctor,

I will try to keep this short. I had a quick question. I have eaten really bad for a very long time, but over the past week I have completely changed up my diet. I do not eat processed foods, bad sugars and fats, and hardly any gluten. I have been eating chicken/salmon mainly, fruits, veggies, and unsaturated fats mainly. I have been taking a couple weight loss supplements as well since yesterday. Before I took the supplements yesterday my lower part of my stomach has had a little pain. Is that because my stomach is trying to adjust to the change in my diet? Thank you.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

First, I would appreciate the fact that you have switched from unhealthy eating habits to a healthy diet and healthy eating habits. Stay motivated. If a person had been into extensive unhealthy eating habits from a long time, it may be difficult for his digestive system to adjust. The digestive system needs some time to adjust if you have been eating a lot of fiber (fruits and vegetables) recently. Gradually increase fiber in your diet as your stomach needs some time to get accustomed to it. The pain may be due to more intake of dairy products.

Increase dairy products gradually. Low or high intake of certain healthy foods can cause bloating or gas. But it does not mean that you should go back to unhealthy eating habits. The pain must not demotivate you. Consistency is the key. If the pain persists, make sure to go to a physician or GI specialist. Moreover, you can eat gluten if you do not suffer from gluten intolerance. You can eat oats, barley, whole wheat. Just do not eat refined flours and cereals. Do not fall into the trap of buying everything from the market that is labeled as healthy.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Video

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have stomach pain and darker stool. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male, and have stomach pain for around a week (mostly after eating). The pain starts in epigastric regions, and then to lower abdomen. I started noticing changing stool color to more darker stool. There is no diarrhea or vomiting, no fever. I am taking Omeprazole fo...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for neuropathy in feet and intense burning throughout the body.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 65-year-old male. I had cancer before four years and was in a coma for about four times. My remission is a miracle. I have severe neuropathy in feet and poor control over the last three years. Even narcotics do not work and now exploring alternatives. My question is for the la...  Read Full »

I have stomach pain when I pass stools. Please suggest a medicine.

Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from a disease of the stomach for six months now. I feel a pain in my stomach when I pass stools. My stool is like mud or liquid, but not like water. I have consulted many doctors but I do not have relief yet. Please tell me what I should do. I am very worried.  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Nutritionist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.