Q. I have stomach upset after taking Flagyl. Can I skip taking Flagyl and continue with Amoxicillin?

Dr. Bharat Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am taking Amoxicillin 500 mg for tooth pain. Can I ask my further doubts regarding my tooth?

#

Thank you very much for choosing me for your query. Please do not hesitate to send your query.

Thank you for your reply.

My question is, I have tooth abscess infection. Five days back I went to the dentist, and he said that he could not save my tooth, then he prescribed me Amoxicillin 650 mg for three days and told me I should come back after four days for tooth extraction, I started taking medicine but skipped a couple of doses. Yesterday he extracted the tooth and drained the infection, and he prescribed another antibiotic Flagyl 400 mg for three days. The thing is my stomach felt upset after taking Flagyl. So my question is, can I skip taking Flagyl and continue with Amoxicillin 650 mg course? Because right now, I feel better although I still have an abscess, it is shrinking each day, and I wanted to ask my doctor, but he is off today and tomorrow. I hope you understand. Thanks.

#

Thank you very much for choosing me for your query.

Yes, you can take Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg) for five days. But I suggest you, please complete the course and do not skip medicine to avoid the recurrence of infection. I will also suggest an analgesic for pain relief.

Infection.

Space infection.

Abscess.

Medications Augmentin twice a day for five days and Aceclofenac 100 mg if the pain is present otherwise do not take.

Warm saline rinses six hourly a day for five days.

If the problem persists, please avoid Flagyl (Metronidazole) and take only these medications.

|