Q. Kindly explain about Beta Strep.

My culture from my gynecologist came back, showing that I have a yeast infection as well as Beta Strep. I was hoping for more information on Beta Strep. I have never heard of it, and there is a lot of information when I searched that is making me confused a little. I am not experiencing any symptoms, either. I feel perfectly fine.

#

There are lots of bacteria and other organisms that colonize healthy skin. Yeast a fungus also is a commensal in our body. Just the presence of these organisms is of no significance. The colony count is needed, which is high, will need a course of antibiotics, which can be decided by culture and sensitivity.

But after a surgery like what you had, or any significant stress or use of lots of antibiotics (as would have happened after surgery) or use of steroids or diabetes, all infections show an altered balance between good and bad bacteria. You do not need any treatment for this. Just wait for your body to develop those good bacteria, and gradually, all tests will come negative. If you have any symptoms, treat as per need. Avoid unnecessary antibiotics use. They will further delay the recovery. I hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more questions.

|