Q. I am under a great stress about my life and feel unworthy with extreme mood changes. Please help.

Dr. Parth Nagda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 27, 2020

I am 18 years old. I am under great stress about many areas of life like family, career, and personal satisfaction. I think I am not worthy enough and I do not like the way I look. I think I am ugly and at times I hate myself for who I am. I feel unworthy and do not deserve for what I have been given (good school, facilities, luxury). Also, I have an imaginary friend whom I talk to many times during the day and share my problems with him. I do not feel fine. I experience extreme mood changes from happy to sad.

Dr. Parth Nagda

Psychiatry
#

What are your symptoms exactly? If they are of depression, then the treatment with an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) is ideally given for six months or so.

Basically, if you are depressed, you will feel irritable, low, feel like crying, sad, do not wish to eat, have difficulty sleep, there can be anxiety, tiredness, headaches, etc.

In bipolar illness, there will be a period of these depressive symptoms and then after a period of normalcy, the reverse happens. That is, you feel unusually happy for no reason, there are episodes of spending money excessively on things which you do not need, or maybe excessive use of alcohol, other illicit drugs, sex, irritable behavior, decreased need for sleep and still feeling fresh, grandiose talks and ideas, many non-goal directed activities, etc. So if you have not had the manic/hypomanic phase, then you probably suffered from major depressive disorder or generalized anxiety disorder.

You will need to consult with a psychiatrist and take medicines for the same. It will surely help with your symptoms.

|