Q. How to improve my mother's condition after stroke attack?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

My mom is in her early 60s. She has had type II diabetes for more than ten years, and she has also suffered from the stroke in the past. I want a doctor's opinion about her current situation. Her present situation is as follows: Paralyzed on the right side of her body. She cannot stand or turn. She needs help to sit. She sits for not more than five minutes before asking to be made to lay down. She has lost her continence. We buy for her adult diapers. Nowadays, eating has become a problem for her. It is very hard for her to chew and swallow. We force her, but it is becoming harder from day to day. When the last time she got hospitalized, her condition did not improve. It cost us the little we had to keep her there. Now, she is back at home. It is very hard for her to speak. At times, she might intend to say something, but she can hardly pronounce a word. She spends the whole day laying down. This can go for week and months as this is the only position she finds comfort in. Do her illnesses giving their last blows?

#

I have gone through the provided details and understand your concerns.

• Although it is almost difficult to pronounce an opinion without seeing a patient, from the available description, it appears that her stroke on left side of the brain (which affects the right side of body and speech area) having all impacts on her ability to move, eat, talk and others.
  • The progress after stroke is never great, but we can hope that with the right formulation of treatment a lot can be improved.
  • I request you to do the following with the consent of her treating doctor.
  1. Passive exercises - Somebody else can move her limbs.
  2. Active exercise - Ask your mother to stretch her limbs as far as possible using other parts (opposite) of the body.
  3. Speech therapy and bladder training.
  4. Antiparkinsonian medication as there seems evidence of stiffening.
  5. Blood thinning medications if the stroke was ischemic. I need her CT scan and MRI to decide whether the stroke was ischemic.
  6. Proper control of diabetes - Please post her latest HbA1c and blood sugar report.
  7. Stimulant medication such as Modafinil to control over apathy.
  • I request you to attach all her laboratory reports and doctor prescriptions so that the case can be reviewed appropriately. Thank you.

Revert with the details to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|