iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersNeurologystrokeHow long will it take for my grandmother to recover from a stroke?

When will my grandmother recover from stroke?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 26, 2017
Reviewed AtAugust 18, 2023

Patient's Query

My grandmother's right hand and right leg were affected recently, and she was unable to walk or lift the hand. We admitted her to a hospital where computed tomography (CT) scan was taken. The doctors discharged her in three days with some prescriptions. She is doing physiotherapy at home daily. She has a history of blood pressure (BP) and diabetes. How long will it take for her to become normal?

Answered by Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that your grandmother had an acute stroke. The recovery depends on the following factors: 1. Size of stroke in the brain. 2. The exact area involved in the brain by the stroke. 3. Associated comorbidity like diabetes, hypertension, heart problem, etc. 4. The age (lesser the age, early and better is the recovery). There is no fixed time frame for recovery from stroke. It is always a gradual process and may take few weeks to months. The maximum possiblerecovery is usually between 1 to 1.5 years. I suggest you send the complete medical reports for better understanding and further judgment.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Neurology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

diabetesstroke

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Neurology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy