Q. I am struggling to express words in certain occasions. Why?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
Published on Jun 20, 2016

I have a speech disorder and a constant headache. It started before two months. When I try to express myself, I often stumble upon words, repeat them or it takes time for me to think of an appropriate word to say on that certain occasion. This seems to be progressively getting worse. It is not that I struggle to think and create an idea about a certain topic posed to me, it is just I struggle to express them in words. When I searched online for speech disorders, the best fitting I found is aphasia, as it states most of the disorders I just told you about. I believe the disorder is not directly damage or change my intelligence. My current medication is Nurofen. Please help.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

• As reported by you the possible speech disorder could be stuttering.
  • As you do not have any medical history of stroke or any kind of damage to the brain, it might be stuttering only.
  • Do you get anxious while speaking? If you get anxious while speaking, then you might feel the problem is increasing.
  • Do you face this problem with greater intensity while talking to strangers or on the phone or in front of higher authority? If so, then yes, it is stuttering.
  • I suggest you to start with relaxation exercise and breathing exercises with a practice to slowly produce words.
  • If this is not enough, then consult a speech therapist for detailed physical evaluation and intervention.

Revert back with answers to the above questions to a speech therapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/speech-therapist

I get paranoid and scared when I am alone in a dark room. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, If my wife sleeps before me, I get paranoid and then cannot sleep till morning. I am generally paranoid when I am alone or in dark, otherwise. everything is normal with me. When I was a kid around 6 years old, I was attacked by a relative who was supposed to be possessed by a ghost. ...  Read Full »

What are the best exercises for ankylosing spondylitis with Andersson lesion?

Query: Dear doctor, Can you tell me which exercises are the best to do when one is having ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion apart from any outdoor exercises?  Read Full »

Why am I often getting mouth sores?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting sores in my mouth when I eat anything. Also, I get the feeling in my mouth as if I am eating something sour and it is annoying. I get it around the same time every year for a couple of occasions. It usually starts around my exams. I am a 15 year old female. My height is 158 c...  Read Full »

Ask a Speech Therapist Now