Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am struggling to express words in certain occasions. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 05, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have a speech disorder and a constant headache. It started before two months. When I try to express myself, I often stumble upon words, repeat them or it takes time for me to think of an appropriate word to say on that certain occasion. This seems to be progressively getting worse. It is not that I struggle to think and create an idea about a certain topic posed to me, it is just I struggle to express them in words. When I searched online for speech disorders, the best fitting I found is aphasia, as it states most of the disorders I just told you about. I believe the disorder is not directly damage or change my intelligence. My current medication is Nurofen. Please help.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist


Welcome to

  • As reported by you the possible speech disorder could be stuttering.
  • As you do not have any medical history of stroke or any kind of damage to the brain, it might be stuttering only.
  • Do you get anxious while speaking? If you get anxious while speaking, then you might feel the problem is increasing.
  • Do you face this problem with greater intensity while talking to strangers or on the phone or in front of higher authority? If so, then yes, it is stuttering.
  • I suggest you to start with relaxation exercise and breathing exercises with a practice to slowly produce words.
  • If this is not enough, then consult a speech therapist for detailed physical evaluation and intervention.

Revert back with answers to the above questions to a speech therapist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is it normal to talk to myself along with overthinking?
Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)
Can anxiety and stress cause frequent urination?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I get paranoid and scared when I am alone in a dark room. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, If my wife sleeps before me, I get paranoid and then cannot sleep till morning. I am generally paranoid when I am alone or in dark, otherwise. everything is normal with me. When I was a kid around 6 years old, I was attacked by a relative who was supposed to be possessed by a ghost. ...  Read Full »

What are the best exercises for ankylosing spondylitis with Andersson lesion?

Query: Dear doctor, Can you tell me which exercises are the best to do when one is having ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion apart from any outdoor exercises?  Read Full »

Why am I often getting mouth sores?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting sores in my mouth when I eat anything. Also, I get the feeling in my mouth as if I am eating something sour and it is annoying. I get it around the same time every year for a couple of occasions. It usually starts around my exams. I am a 15 year old female. My height is 158 c...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»
I have redness in my eyes. How to stop it from getting redder?
Hello doctor,I am a 16-year-old boy. I have a problem with my eyes, and I had this problem for a very long time. I do no...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Speech Therapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.