Q. Could increase in WBC count could be a reason for reoccurrence of stye?

Dr. Dada Peer K
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2019

I have a stye, and it is reoccurring from 15 days. As my CBC report, hemoglobin is 11.8, and RBC is 4.02, and WBC is 10200. So is it because of the increase in WBC?

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed your history. A stye is because of bacterial infection of glands if eyelids. Since this is infection WBC count is expected yo increase. WBC count in your cade is within normal limits, up to 11,000 is normal, no need to worry. The recurrence is because if recurrence of infection and recurrences occur in people with risk factors like blepharitis, exposure to dust. Hence consult your eye doctor to find out the underlying cause and treatment accordingly. As of now, you need to use antibiotic eye ointment and hot compression.

| 

My WBC count is above 10,000. Do I have blood cancer?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26 year old female. Last year, my physician told me that I have an iron deficiency, and put me on supplements. My WBC count is 10,300 now. I have no infection, and I am not on any other medication. I am worried due to the high WBC count. I am attaching my CBC test report. Ple...  Read Full »

Will high platelet count cause a blood clot or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has high WBC count of 15,000, platelet count of 5,40,000, and hemoglobin at 11.2. Her ESR is 86, and CRP is also similar. She has a fever, which rises in the evening to 101. Can you please tell me what this denotes? Also, will the high platelet count cause a danger for a bl...  Read Full »

What treatment will help recurrent stye?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old female. I am getting a stye in the corner of my left eye, right under the lower eyelid. It is recurrent for the past six months and itchy sometimes. What would you recommend to get rid of it?   Read Full »