Q. Will subconjunctival hemorrhage heal on its own?

Dr. Dada Peer K

My 5-year-old son has had a pretty bad cough that we are treating and he is improving. Last night, he had some pretty severe coughing fits, but we got through those with herbal tea, cough drops, and a small spoonful of honey. When we got up this morning, and I looked at him I was alarmed to see both of his eyes had puddles of red blood over part of the white areas. I did some online research and it looks like a subconjunctival hemorrhage. Everything that I read about this condition says it will heal on its own. But I would like a professional opinion. He did have some eye goop the day before as part of his cold sickness, but that cleared up on its own.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed your history and the photos attached to the question. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The photos show sub-conjunctival hemorrhage as rightly thought by you. This is because of the collection of blood under the conjunctiva. This occurs most commonly following injury but can also occur in cases of coughing or severe sneezing as in case of your son. This will resolve slowly as the blood gets absorbed over a period of two to four weeks.

No treatment is required. Use of vitamin C tablets will help in quick resolution. The cough needs to be treated appropriately. You need to consult an ophthalmologist if there symptoms like pain, diminution of vision. Otherwise no need to be worried he will be fine.

| 

Is the blood clot in sclera due to an infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have got blood clotting since the past two days in my right eye, in the part of the sclera. I have no idea whether it is an infection or not. I am currently using Moxicip eye drop to see whether I get any relief. I have used other home remedies like washing my eyes with cold water. ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest Vitamin C serums for removing brown spots from face.

Query: Hello doctor, My sister's age is 28, normal, sensitive skin. She is having brown spots on her face. Can you please suggest the best Vitamin C serums for removing brown spots on her face without any side effects? Is there any other options (simple and safe) for removing such brown spots?  Read Full »

Can vitamin C induce periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am approximately 95 kg weight. I am in need of emergency contraception due to failed birth control. I will be ovulating tomorrow, so I am at a high risk of unwanted pregnancy. I obtained and took a 1.5 mg dose of Levonorgestrel (Plan B pill); however I have...  Read Full »