Q. What are the ways to stop sugar addiction?

Dr. Youness Tanani
Published on Jun 25, 2019

I am having sugar addiction. I always eat candy non-stop and chips and soda, but I am so addicted that I failed the 30-day sugar free challenge in the first three hours itself. I need help, how can I stop this addiction if all my ways are failing everytime I keep trying.

Dr. Youness Tanani

Nutritionist Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

Sugar is not an illicit drug, but the brain acts in a similar manner to other substance abuse and addictions. Another reason you could be craving sugar regularly is due to how it makes you feel after consuming it. Generally, a sugary treat causes a rush of both glucose and endorphins in your blood. One of the best things you can do to fight your sugar addiction is to start by swapping sweet foods for healthy alternatives like vegetables. Yes, vegetables can be sweet, but the natural sugars you find in carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, and peas are so much lower than what you will find in treats such as gummies, cookies, or donuts. At the same time, they’ will satisfy your craving for sweetness and you can train yourself to eat these healthier choices over-addictive sugary desserts.

The last small tip for fighting your sugar addiction is to generate a plan for how you will eat. You can write this plan out, post it somewhere, or simply keep a mental note of it, but a plan can help you to succeed in various situations. For example, keep carrot sticks cut up in your fridge so that after work, you can plan to snack on those instead of cookies. Or if you are going out to brunch, decide that your plan is to order an omelet with vegetables so that pancakes (basically, a maple syrup delivery device) is not an option. The idea here is to have a plan for how you will succeed in various scenarios that typically create problems for you.

| 

My latest reports showed non-alcoholic fatty liver and hypercholesterolemia. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male, and I weigh 84 kg. I have a history of asthma, for which I use Salbutamol. I also have eczema and alopecia, for which I use topical Hydrocortisone and Finasteride 1 mg respectively. I do not smoke or drink. My last routine investigation, which I did last year,...  Read Full »

When I stand from my bed suddenly, I feel dizzy for a minute. What causes it?

Query: Hi doctor, When I stand from my bed suddenly I feel dizzy for a minute. What causes this? My ECG and echo are normal. When walking, feel floating, and imbalance. Currently, I am taking Xynal, Avas 10 mg, Vertin OD, and Febuget 40 mg.  Read Full »

Should I avoid coffee while taking ayurveda medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking Manasamitravadakam and Ashwagandharishta along with Indukantham kashayam and Pancatipakkinic chooranam for depression and insomnia. Should I avoid coffee when I am under ayurveda medications? How are Indukantham kashayam and Pancatipakkinic chooranam beneficial?  Read Full »

Ask a Nutritionist Now