Surgery For Neck Or Low Back Pain

MRI says Posterocentral protrusion of L4-5 disc is abutting the L5 nerve root bilaterally What does this mean?

Query: Hi, I am a 32 year old male. My MRI report says: Posterocentral protrusion of L4-5 disc is abutting the L5 nerve root bilaterally. (In MRI it is black between L4-5 and kind of poking the nerve). My back pains occasionally and I think it is the nerve which is hurting, because the pain is like a s...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am not sure of your neck symptoms as the neck has nothing to do with your lower back and from your description it is not clear if you have any leg symptoms or bladder symptoms. However I need to see your MRI scan to be able to make a judgment on the further managemen...  Read Full »

Please give a diagnosis and treatment plan based on my MRI.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from acute lower back pain for the last five days. Now I am getting better with medications and bed rest. This severe and acute pain happens every six to nine months since the last four years. It knocks me out for three to four days. On a regular basis, I have lower back st...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have disc prolapse at two levels which is causing compression of nerves at those levels resulting in pain and recurrence of symptoms every few months. More than the report, MRI images are re...  Read Full »

Do I need surgery for compressed nerve and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I suffered a back injury at work before nine months while lifting an order of 20 batteries weighing 20 kg each. When I lifted the last battery of the order, I felt a sharp pain in my lower back, and my left leg that made me collapse and I was rushed to the hospital. I have seen a number...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgeon, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would suggest you undergo endoscopic or microsurgical discectomy surgery for your back pain as soon as possible without further delay. You can also consider disc replacement as an option. Regarding your symptoms, I would like to tell you that we human beings ha...  Read Full »

Is surgery the only remedy for neck bone fracture?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient is a 17-year-old male. He has got injuries and fractures of the head and neck in an accident some days ago. There is a pain in the head and neck. He can move his hands and legs. He is conscious and can talk. He is getting irritated due to a tight collar in the neck. I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Solanki

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The patient has second neck bone fracture along with head injury with small hemorrhages (areas of bleeding) in the brain. He requires surgery for neck bone fracture which can be d...  Read Full »

My arm has become stiff due to cervical spondylosis. How to get it treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 55 years old. I have been diagnosed with cervical spondylosis due to wear and tear on my dehydrated spinal discs. My pain is in my neck and arm. I have occasional fever and night sweats. I am already using a cervical collar for a week now. I am using hard collar during the day and so...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neurologist, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your condition. Your symptoms match with the diagnosis of cervical spondylosis. Unfortunately, along with neck pain and arm pain you also seem to have developed weakness of your left arm due to pressure on your nerves in the neck. Physiotherapy is ...  Read Full »

My mom has disc problem. Should we go for surgery or physiotherapy?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, aged 41, has been suffering from back pain, hip pain which became leg pain and foot numbness for almost three months now. She went to an orthopedician and had an MRI of the lumbar spine, which revealed a problem in the L5-S1 disc. I would really appreciate if you can assis...  Read Full »

Dr. James F Geiselman

Chiropractor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your question and your attached MRI reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As the MRI report stated, there is a disc bulge at L5-S1 causing the numbness and leg pain. Has your mom been to a chiropractor before? What was your orthopedic s...  Read Full »

My doctor advised surgery for radiating low back pain. Is that right?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel pain in my lower back. The pain is radiating to my left foot and left big toe. I have attached the result of my MRI. The doctor told me that I need an operation and medicines will not help me. But, I do not believe that my case is so bad. Can you check my report? I am working as a ...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Considering the MRI report and radiation of back pain till the point of big toe, I am of the opinion that surgery is the best modality of treatment. Your doctor is right in sa...  Read Full »

Would it be better to get steroid injection before ablation for neck pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had right-sided chronic cervical neck pain for the past six months. My MRI revealed the following. Bulging discs, C6-C7 and C5-C6 osteophytes and severe bilateral stenosis and typical degenerative disc disease. I visited a pain doctor hoping for a cervical steroid procedure, but in...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. You have had the same condition four years ago and treated with cervical steroid injections (three) and pain disappeared. Now, the pain has reappeared. Hence, steroids may...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment and exercise for back pain.

Query: Hi doctor, A few years back, I suffered from a pinched nerve in my neck and that incapacitated me with severe pain. A chiropractor saved my life and my sanity. I have also been told that I have degenerating vertebrae in the neck area. For several months, I have had recurring pain in my right shou...  Read Full »

Dr. Saswati Nanda

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pain and radiation depend on the extent of the disc derangement and the compression of nerve. If the derangement is grade 1 or 2 means mild or moderate, then it can be solved by physiotherapy treatment or chiropractor treatment. But, if the derangement is grade 3 mea...  Read Full »

Can scoliosis get corrected through surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I have scoliosis from my 15 years of age. Now, I am 36 years old. I am a very active teacher and mom. The pain medicines are not helping me now and I have started to limp and lean. Can it get corrected through surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is important to do an MRI of your spine to know where the nerves are getting pinched. Please consult a neurologist for physical evaluation after doing an MRI scan and they will be able to guide you with your pain. Surgery is not required in every patient and you might ...  Read Full »