Q. I have swallowed a square magnet. Please help.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
Published on Feb 22, 2019

I swallowed a square magnet. Will it harm me?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

You should get an upper GI endoscopy done, if the magnet is in the reach of the endoscope, it should be removed on an urgent basis. According to you, it is a single magnet. A single magnet will rarely cause symptoms, but if you have ingested multiple magnets or magnet along with a metal object, you need to get them removed as soon as possible.

For the single magnet, the size of the magnet will decide the course if it has reached into the stomach or small intestine, if it is less than 2.5 cm in all dimension, it should pass down in stools (there are 85 percent chance that it will pass down). Just check your stools for the next 24 to 72 hours. If it does not pass for more than 72 hours or size is larger than 2.5 cm, or the longest dimension is more than 5 cm, you should reach out an endoscopist to get it removed with a grasping forceps.

1. X-ray abdomen erect to look for the location of the magnet.
2. Upper GI endoscopy, if it is in reach of the endoscope (that is till first or second part of duodenum).

What can be the reason for frequent sputum without cough?

Query: Hello doctor, I have no cough but sputum comes out while getting up in the morning and also same comes out 5 to 10 times in a day. Cough color is white. No other problem.  Read Full >>

Dr. Albana Greca
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Sputum coming out while getting up in the morning could be related to any stomach issue especially if you are having acid reflux or other hyperacidity problems of the stomach. If you have been taking any antibiotic recently, candida infecti...  Read Full

Is it safe to drink alcohol after stomach biopsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I received an upper endoscopy and biopsy about 10 hours ago. My weight is 150 lbs and I was given 50 mcg of Fentanyl and 180 mg of Propofol for sedation. The procedure was successful and there were no immediate complications. I came home and rested for several hours and have plans to go o...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to suggest avoiding alcoholic beverages and spicy hot foods. The reason is the stomach biopsy. I am not worried about the sedation. If you do not have cloudiness of mind, then you are good. You just got the stomach biopsy. It would be in the best interest...  Read Full

Why is there heart beat below my throat after drinking hot?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a month, I had a feeling of heart palpitation and some beats below my throat after having a party meal. I am a vegetarian. So after checking ECG, I started taking Pan IT in the morning and evening, Gaviscon and Ciplar for ten days. My heartburn has gone. But I have a little bit o...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is safe for a short-term period, for a month or two. But if necessary then the long-term is also continued as the side effects are not very serious. So I would suggest that you have it for a week. Then make it once a day and then take in a week or two. Most probably ...  Read Full