Q. Following a fall, my thumb got swollen. How to cure it?

Dr. Amit Arora
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

Last week, I fell and jammed my thumb into the floor. It instantly hurt and I knew I had sprained or jammed something. The next day, my palm and the thumb muscle were swollen with a painful lump. I could not grab or hold anything, but I can move it around. So, I know it did not break. It has almost been a week and is still very sore. There is no pain in the knuckle and I still cannot hold heavy things and grab things. On bending it is very painful. I wanted to give it some time before seeing a doctor if it is just a mild sprain. Typing and working is very difficult, so I was wondering if seeing a doctor would help or if it is just going to take time?

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiology
#

• As you described that you can move it around, but is not bending properly that is there reduce range of movement at interphalangeal joint.
  • Hopefully,  there is no major fracture. But, there could be some soft tissue injury or ligament injury or may be some small hairline fracture, a remote possibility.
  • There are also chances of slight dislocation of interphalangeal joint.
  • Ideally, after injury an x-ray was supposed to be done and it should be immobilized during initial stage of injury.
  • Now, after a week, if you are still not able to hold things properly and it is still painful,  then I must advise you to get an x-ray done.
  • If there is no joint dislocation, then with the help of physiotherapy, mild painkiller and topical application of pain killer gel will be helpful.
  • The thumb is an important part of the hand and in most of the activities on hand it plays an important role .So, you must pay attention towards this injury.
  • Please try to attain full range of movements. Ignorance and delay may sometime lead to chronic problem.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full »

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »

Please suggest some painkiller for my back pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who is suffering from severe back pain. I am a teacher and have a 7 months old child. When I am at work, I have back pains at the end of the backbone, on the right side over the kidney. I got an ultrasound and an x-ray of the back. And I do not have any kidney s...  Read Full »