Q. My 8-year-old daughter has a painless swelling in her leg, but all her reports are normal. Kindly help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My 8-year-old daughter got a painless swelling from the leg, ankle to the foot, which has started hardening. The doctors diagnosed and concluded that they were nerves or blood vessels which they advised me to try massages which we did but no change. It is now two years. Kindly help me.

#

I need to see her foot, so please send a picture of it. I will check and let you know. If you have reports from previous tests, then please attach them then I will look.

If it is due to vessels and nerves, then definitely physiotherapy will help.

Please send pictures and details for further help.

I am attaching the picture and files. Kindly help me.

#

I have gone through your reports and all images of the foot (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Actually, the reports are absolutely normal and do not indicate any blood vessel blockage or nerve compression. It says that swelling can be due to trauma, so maybe she has had some injury, but no fracture, so due to that may be swelling has occurred. If there is no injury and no pain, then it will go. I would suggest you use a bandage on it (warm bandage) that will help to reduce swelling.

You can apply that two to three times a day for at least one hour.

Another thing is sometimes such swelling is due to parasite infection, so I would suggest you consult an epidemiologist or infection specialist once. That will be helpful.

Because her ultrasound, blood, and X-ray reports are normal, so we have to look for other possible causes, and that is parasite infection due to some insect bite or other reason.

What treatment is she taking currently?

She has swelling only in the lower part of the leg, or is there swelling in the whole leg?

I hope this was helpful.

|