Q. What are the causes for irregular menses and swelling in ankle in a 34-year-old female?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am a 34-year-old female. I have excessive swelling in my ankle during periods, tiredness, disturbed sleep, constipation, and I do not feel like doing anything. Periods came twice in one month. My current medication includes Crina-NCR 15 mg once a day after a meal. When the bleeding was not stopping for almost 10 to 12 days, I consulted a local gynecologist and took Methergine last year. That medicine helped me and my periods stopped. Recently I took some tests, and the values were a TSH level of 10.91 mIU/L and hemoglobin of 10 grams per deciliter. My weight is 63 kgs, and my height is 5'7".

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

From the information you have provided, it appears that you have all these symptoms due to hypothyroidism.

I suggest that you start tablet Levothyroxine (L-thyroxine) 50 mcg once daily in the morning on an empty stomach and avoid eating anything for the next one hour.

Repeat your thyroid function test after six weeks again, and then we will adjust the doses accordingly.

Hope you find my advice beneficial.

Good luck.

One of the local doctors suggested me to take Thyrox-25. Can I start this? Or should I purchase Levothyrox-50? Should I test for FT3 and FT4 also?

#

I understand your concern.

According to your weight, I have calculated and suggested a dose of 50 mcg. So, I suggest you stick to what is at par with your body weight.

After six weeks, I suggest you have a complete thyroid function test.

|