Q. The backs of both my knees are swollen after a hike. Please help.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

The backs of both my knees are swollen after a hike. When I first noticed this, I thought I got bitten by a mosquito or a bug. So, I applied After Bite to the area a little bit. The redness was reduced the next day but, it is still swollen. I see a lump right behind the knees. I can comfortably walk but, the area is very slightly itchy. It has been for four days. I have never experienced something like this. So, I am worried. Should I just wait for a couple of days to see if the lump disappears? Is there any treatment you could recommend? If I need to go see a doctor, which specialist's office will I have to visit? Please help.

#

• Kindly send me a picture of the attached area. Only then can I comment on the condition and the specialist you will have to visit.

Revert with more information to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thanks for your reply. I have attached two images of the back of my knee. Both the images are of the right side. The left side of the knee looks similar to this.

#

• I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If this swelling disappears when you sit on a chair with the knee flexed and appears back when you stand, then this is related to the knee joint.
  • If this swelling is constantly present irrespective of sitting or standing, then it may be due to a dermatological condition.
  • There is no to little redness. So, I feel there is more probability of it being an orthopedic condition with joint fluid swelling or bursa swelling rather than a  dermatological condition. So, I suggest you visit an orthopedic surgeon.

Feel free to discuss further.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|