Q. Kindly give your opinion about the swelling in my neck.

Dr. Kumar. M
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 08, 2021

I have an impacted wisdom tooth on my left jaw. I had an infection three months back and now, it returned. My oral surgeon is holding off my surgery until confirmation from a rheumatologist. My infection has returned with tenderness, pain and spasms reaching my ear. They started me on antibiotics 500 three times daily for seven days. It is the fourth day and my neck has gotten swollen on the left. It has been difficult to swallow and I feel a lot of pain and tenderness. It is hard to open my mouth. I have no fever. I began to feel pain on my right side. My oral surgeon sent me to the ER instead of seeing me and there they took a quick look and told me that I do not have an infection in my throat just in my jaw. I am just wondering how they know without any tests. I felt like they were trying to discharge me desperately. My primary physician is aware and wants my wisdom tooth removed. Since I was placed on antibiotics three times in the past five months, he does not feel comfortable with me taking them again because of my occasional diarrhea and to prevent resistance. Kindly give your advice.

#

• Since you say your neck is swollen, the infection must be spreading. You better get admitted and start on IV antibiotics.
  • I suggest Paracetamol with Serratiopeptidase combination twice daily for three days and Pan 40 before food twice daily for three days for reducing pain and inflammation.
  • Consult your nearby ENT surgeon to avoid neck infection spreading and before starting on drugs to avoid allergic and adverse effects.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|