Q. What can cause swelling in the middle of the neck?

Dr. Alok Rathi
Published on Apr 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I am 22 years old. I have swelling in the middle of my neck since last two months. I do not have thyroid and I got it tested two months back. The result was negative. I have consulted a doctor and he prescribed me Monti FX and Lugol's iodine solution and it helped me a little, but after 10 days I started having loose motion. So, I just stopped the medication. What should I do now? Please help.

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Swelling in the middle of the neck has huge list of causes. If you do not have fever, pain, difficulty in swallowing and just swelling is present, then thyroid swelling and lymph node swelling are the two most common causes.
  • Thyroid swelling does not mean that your blood thyroid values should be abnormal. T3, T4 and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) can be normal in thyroid swelling.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I have a benign multinodular goiter. Is there a need for thyroidectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with multinodular goiter and have done FNAC, which turned to be benign. Is there any other way to get rid of the enlargement of the goiter and the nodules? My thyroid is full of them ranging from 0.5 to 0.9 mm. What should I do? I feel lost, and I have a con...  Read Full »

Other than ultrasound, how can Down's syndrome be diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. Yesterday, I went for an ultrasound scan named targeted imaging for fetal anomalies. Other than hypoplasia of nasal bone, everything is normal. I need an expert opinion regarding advanced tests of ultrasound or amniocentesis, karyotyping or any ultrasound scan to ...  Read Full »

Why did the ultrasound scan at the eighth week show 5.5 weeks baby with no heartbeat?

Query: Hello doctor, The first ultrasound scan at six weeks showed a baby with heartbeats. But, after 15 days, it shows 5.5 weeks baby with no heartbeat. The doctor told me to take MTP pills. After taking these pills, I had heavy bleeding for six days, and from the seventh day, I started expelling black bl...  Read Full »