Swelling Of The Feet

Are heart patients more prone to get swelling in the feet?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt is 89 years old. She has a pacemaker and chronic bronchitis. She is complaining of swelling on both feet with more swelling on the left foot. It gets better when she exerts herself less. She has anxiety due to this. Also, she has a lot of phlegm, especially at night, which makes h...  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhu Prasad N.c

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned, she is a known case of bronchitis and now having phlegm. It looks like she must be experiencing some lung attack, maybe due to some infection. Swelling of feet could be due to long-standing chronic bronchitis or heart ailment per se. She nee...  Read Full »

What causes swelling in feet in older adults?

Query: Hello doctor, My father has swelling in his left foot, and I would like to check his blood test if they are normal. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Md Rajja

Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your father's blood report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Urine albumin and PSA are high. Due to hypoproteinemia, swelling of the foot is happening. So try taking a high-protein diet. His urine protein is high, so th...  Read Full »

Can antibiotics help in reducing persistent swelling in my legs?

Query: Hello doctor, Before six years, my legs had gotten swollen for seemingly no reason, and within a year after that without changing my diet I started to gain an excessive amount of weight. Doctor did not know what it was, so he sent me to every specialist for a bunch of tests then finally a vascular...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you a diabetic? Can you send me pictures of your legs, if possible? Is filariasis endemic in your area? Possible causes are like: 1. Cellulitis of lower limb. 2. Filariasis with lymphangitis. 3. Myxedema with secondary infection. Also, there is a poss...  Read Full »

Is swelling of feet with kidney stones a concerning issue in elderly patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 67-year-old male. I weigh about 77 kg. I am on no medications except for Aspirin 80 mg approximately 8 times for a week for occasional back pain and as a prophylactic. I have no known medical issues. I have lower back pain at times mild to severe for short durations. Massage ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Swelling in both limbs is usually related to either kidneys or heart. Rarer causes are like varicose veins which would be evident externally. But the swelling does not mean that there will be some serious issues with these organs. Simply with age, the heart becomes s...  Read Full »

Is surgery mandatory for boils in the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother has swelling on his left foot. He has a boil on his left inner leg 4 inches above his left ankle inner bone. The doctor he visited gave him medicines for his boil and said the boil will come out in some days. The swelling in his foot has increased and so he visited the same...  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. He is having diabetes? If yes, what is the sugar level? If yes, first you have to control the sugar level. He is having a deep infected ulcer with cellulitis. What medications he is on? Since it is a deep and swelling extended up to the foot better open the wound ...  Read Full »

Why are my dad's feet so puffy?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad is 83 years old. He keeps coughing up phlegm and sleeping all the time. He is cold and his feet are very swollen. His feet are so puffy and he feels difficult to wear shoes or walk. He weighs about 300 lbs. He is suffering from congestive heart failure. Currently, he is on Lisinop...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am worried about depressed cardiac function, kidney dysfunction or liver disease. If the swelling is increasing; after he saw his doctor, then he should be seen again sooner rather than later. He would need further testing and evaluation for the swelling. It is not n...  Read Full »

What can cause swelling of the feet?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is suffering from feet swelling for the past four years. We met nearly seven to eight doctors for this issue, but she did not get any relief. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Four years is a long time to have swelling of the feet. But, since you have met so many doctors and have taken so many treatments. I suggest you to kindly send me some more data regarding your investigations, x-rays and any other investigation you have done. Also, send m...  Read Full »

Can chronic kidney disease cause swelling in feet and tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have swelling on my feet and tongue as well. KFT report was normal only my creatinin was 1.6. It is a chronic problem. I have already used Lasilactone 50 mg and Torsemide 10 mg. But no relief. I use insulin Mixtard 40 units twice and Galvus Met 50/850 1 bd for my diabetes type 2. M...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your statement, you are suffering from chronic kidney disease. Now you have swelling on feet, ankles, and tongues. You have DM (diabetes mellitus) for 20 years. Do you suffer from an allergy? Or are you allergic to some foods, medications, irritants, et...  Read Full »

Why do I get swelling on face, feet, and legs post by-pass surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have by-pass surgery done. I am having respiratory problems and broncho asthma. I have swelling of body parts like face, feet, and legs.  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Jauhari

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your respiratory issue could be due to chest infection. Kindly answer the following questions for a better understanding of your health issue. What is your BP status? Is there any cough and sputum or fever? Do you feel breathless on walking or even while sitting or lyi...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for swollen feet?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got swelling in feet and excess pain over last few days. I have breathing problem while walking. I also feel weakness since few days. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Md. Kais Haider Chowdhury

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your leg is swelling like when you press your finger on your leg and see pushing marks of your finger (use thumb) then there is a real need for emergency care and treatment. If your leg swelling is also associated with swelling of the body and face then it needs ur...  Read Full »