Q. How to find the reason for the swelling of the feet?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

My wife is suffering from feet swelling for the past four years. We met nearly seven to eight doctors for this issue, but she did not get any relief. Please help.

#

• Four years is a long time to have swelling of the feet. But, since you have met so many doctors and have taken so many treatments. I suggest you to kindly send me some more data regarding your investigations, x-rays and any other investigation you have done.
  • Also, send me some clinical pictures of both the feet and also tell me more about the aggravating factors and color of the feet.
  • Let us find out the root cause of it and reduce the swelling.
  • Till that time just apply an elastocrepe bandage six inches from the toes to below the knees.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I am sending last two test reports and both feet pictures. Feet color is natural, but always she feels pain in both the feet. For the last three days she has full body pain.

#

I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and there are a few tests which need to be done before coming to the diagnosis. So, let us go in a step-by-step manner.

• The tests you need to do now are USG scan of abdomen and pelvis, Doppler study of both lower limbs (arterial and venous), ESR - erythrocyte sedimentation rate, CRP - C-reactive protein and serum electrolytes.
  • These tests along with your earlier reports will help us reach a diagnosis and then treat the swelling.
  • Till then what you need to do is wear a pressure socks whole day to reduce the swelling.

Idiopathic edema or venous insufficiency or chronic infection.

Pressure socks.

Revert back with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

First, will get the test done and then I will contact you.

#

Yes, sure. Please come back with the reports.

Revert back with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Patient Name Beena Kumari
Dear sir,
As per our discussion I am sending all test report which is advised by you please check it and suggest medicine as soon as possible.
Thanks & regard
Rajeev Kumar
# Hi ,
Good day ,

I went through the reports ,

And have come to a differential diagnosis ,

So you need to take the following medications ,

Tablet hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg 0-1-0 x 1 month after food ,
Tablet augmentin 625 mg 1-1-1 x 5 days after food ,
Tablet rabeprazole 20 mg 1-0-1 x 5 days before food ,

Use the pressure socks that i had given you earlier ,
Keep your leg elevated ,
Do your normal routine activities daily ,

You will need to follow up after 1 month with serum electrolytes blood reports ,

It will take 1 month to see the benefit and so let me know after 1 month,

Regards

Serum electrolytes after 1 month

Idiopathic edema / lymphedema/ chronic low grade infection

Follow up after 1 month to tell me the difference and also blood reports

Thank u sir ,
# Pls do follow up after 1 month with blood reports as it is important to check the blood levels of serum electrolytes ,,

|