Q. My dad's feet are so puffy. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

My dad is 83 years old. He keeps coughing up phlegm and sleeping all the time. He is cold and his feet are very swollen. His feet are so puffy and he feels difficult to wear shoes or walk. He weighs about 300 lbs. He is suffering from congestive heart failure. Currently, he is on Lisinopril for blood pressure, Potassium supplement and Furosemide for water retention and Cetirizine for allergy symptoms. 

#

• I am worried about depressed cardiac function, kidney dysfunction or liver disease.
  • If the swelling is increasing; after he saw his doctor, then he should be seen again sooner rather than later. He would need further testing and evaluation for the swelling. It is not normal to have that amount of swelling and cough.
  • He is taking a fluid pill (Furosemide) and the dose has to be adjusted or  increased.
  • I would like you to know that Lisinopril can also cause dry hacking cough. It is a well known side effect. It should be changed to a sister medication called Losartan, which does not cause cough. Consult his specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and get the medicine or dose altered.
  • I would need the dose of Lisinopril, his current vital signs that are heart rate, blood pressure and kidney function test with electrolytes.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|