Q. Why are there redness, inflammation and swelling in my glans penis after intercourse?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 20, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2019

I hope someone can help me. About 20 days ago, I started feeling pain after sex. I noticed part of glans penis and foreskin (near frenulum) is red, inflammed, and swollen. I thought the problem could be caused by hard and vigorous sexual acts (protected sex) I had in the previous days and weeks. I received oral sex (without condoms) with some girls in the previous days or weeks.

In the 1st case, the friction of sex could have irritated skin of my penis. In the second case, I guess the pain and the red spots could be related to infection (bacterial or viral). The first doctor I visited (general practitioner) told me to apply Canstean cream and use Ciprofloxacin to treat urinary tract infections. After two days, I felt sick and pain in the testicles. Also, the cream did not improve the conditions of my penis.

So then I visited the urologist who told me to interrupt Canesten and Ciprofloxacin and to use a Zinc oxide cream. I applied that on foreskin and glans. After two days the problem got worse because the cream was too thick and I felt pain just touching that area. I called the urologist who suggested me to stop with that product and to use a cream that contained Chlorhexidine. After one week, the problem was not solved.

The urologist suggested me to contact a dermatologist, and that is what I did. He noticed just like a cordon in the foreskin, near the frenulum and so he told me to apply advanced cream that is a topical corticosteroid for two weeks. Moreover, the doctor prescribed an echo to check the cordon. The echo was negative. Even if I was told, this examination is not complete. I should have done a penile ultrasound with a penis in erection. Next week I consulted a dermatologist again, but the situation is still bad. What can it be?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have gone through your case. In my opinion, your first treatment with Ciprofloxacin and Canesten (Clotrimazole) was fine, but it should be taken at least for five to seven days, and some oral antifungal has also been added for proper cure. Ultrasound will not help in diagnosis and treatment.Please follow this treatment for five to seven days. I Hope you will be fine.

1. Tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg two times a day for seven days
2. Mix Canestan cream with Advantan (Methylprednisolone) cream in equal amount and apply two times a day for 14 days.
3. Take capsule Fluconazole 150 mg once in a week for two weeks.
4. Drink plenty of water.
5. Maintain good hygiene.
6. Avoid rubbing and sex for next two more week
7. Avoid sweating.

Is Gum Inflammation a Curable Problem?

Article Overview: The medical terminology for inflamed gums is 'gingivitis'. It is one of the most common oral health concerns faced by each of us. This article talks about the causes and cure for gingivitis. Read Article

Gingivitis refers to inflammation of the gums. Gums (or gingiva) along with the bones and ligaments form the supporting structure of the teeth. Once they get swollen, there is redness, puffiness, and bleeding of gums. But, in most cases, it is treatable and reversible. When left untreated, it can l...  Read Article

Is torn meatus dangerous?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 year old. I did not have any physical relationship till date. My meatus got torn from bottom of around 1 mm three weeks back due to masturbating on bed in jean. The meatus was swollen and looked like lips. I felt continuous need to urinate every 10 minutes or so. The urine was al...  Read Full »

Why does my penis get swollen after masturbation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male, unmarried and had no physical relationship yet. Earlier, I have got circumcision. Now swelling of penis head is present. The swelling is more prominent on the left side but difference can be seen on all sides. I believe this happened two weeks ago, but I notic...  Read Full »