Swollen Ankles

I have stomach pain and swollen ankles. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, Since 1 month I have been suffering from stomach problem. Whenever I eat something, I immediately have stomach pain and pass stools. There is swelling in both the ankles. I feel weak. What could be the problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. The stomach ache may be due to peptic ulcer. If the pain increases after consuming food, then the location of ulcer is in the stomach. Hence, such patients hesitate to eat food despite hunger. On the other hand, if the abdominal pain is seen before food and the pain su...  Read Full »

What causes a swollen ankle to turn dark red?

Query: My father, Male, 77 years old with swollen ankle redness of the swollen area has turn into dark red, not diabetic since last check up last year, he had a stroke before and has undergone liver operation due to cancer 8 years back. He has no fever , chills or dizziness. Just pain in the affected area...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello Dear your father may be developed cellulitis or joint effusion ( due to hepatic insufficiency). If the limb is warm means it may be cellulitis so need to start immediate treatment. If it cold at the affected area with no fever then may be eczema or purpura or rash. So 1. Keep limb elevation...  Read Full »

I have sudden ankle swelling and pain. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, Patient's left leg is swollen at ankle with severe pain at the joint for the past 10 days. He is unable to walk regularly as before. He has taken antibiotic and still the pain remains the same. Patient has done x-ray and blood test and everything seems to be fine. There is no accident...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess you are talking about your father here in this query. Acute or sudden onset of ankle pain in a 61 year old male, who was previously healthy, can be due to many reasons such as: Cellulitis. Ankle sprain. Tendinitis. Synovitis of the ankle joint. Retrocalcaneal burs...  Read Full »

Why is there swelling in the ankles after a flight travel?

Query: Hello doctor, I just had a flight and have swollen ankles on both legs. I have attached the photos. The swelling is tender and no pain or redness. I just had a check-up one week ago, and all my blood reports are normal. My standard medications are: For HP, Irbesartan 150 mg a day and Metoprolol 50 m...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the photos. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is a common problem not only after the flight but also after prolonged traveling. It occurs due to prolonged immobilization, and due to increased blood circulation and decreased venous re...  Read Full »

I broke my ankle. Can the surgery be done after three weeks?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently broke my ankle playing soccer. I went to the hospital right away and the doctors set me up and place me in a cast and told me I will have to do surgery. Six days later they told me that the next available surgery date is in the next three weeks. Is it fine to wait that long...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am thinking that the ankle may have been too swollen to operate and that is why they delayed the surgery to allow the swelling to go down which can take a week to 10 days. Did they not clearly say so? Three weeks itself is a long time I think. It may be a systemati...  Read Full »

I have high BP and my ankles are swollen after I get up from bed. How long can I walk?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old, male and I am suffering from high BP and my creatinine level is 1.57. I am daily walking, my ankles are swelling once I get up from bed. So, now I have stopped. If I have to walk, up to how many kilometers can I walk, what kind of food I should take, whether this d...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your weight is also slightly high. So you also need weight reduction. So avoid oily and spicy food. Avoid junk food. Avoid large meals, ins...  Read Full »

I am six months pregnant and I have swollen feet and ankles. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am six months pregnant. I have swollen feet and ankles. It hurts when water runs over them. I also have lower back pain and some dizziness. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A pregnant woman usually has edema (swollen lower extremities) especially if she has been standing quite long. However, it is never tender but just heavy. It spontaneously resolves when she places her feet at least two pillows higher than her body or only by little e...  Read Full »

I am attaching my Doppler report taken for swollen ankle. Please give your opinion.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male with a history of hypertension. My BP medication was changed for the past six months and doctor put me on Metosartan 50, and Amlodipine 5 mg. For four to five weeks, my ankle joints are swollen. I went to an orthopedic, and he asked for a venous Doppler lower li...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your Doppler report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Before making the diagnosis, I want a few things pertaining to your problem, like your complaining of swelling of both ankles joints like on and off. 1. Do you have a fever w...  Read Full »

Pain in both knee and ankle with swelling. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 60 female, having pain in both knee and ankle, swollen up, does not bend knee, the pain starts from upper thigh to knee.  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you should get your blood test done for cholesterol, uric acid, and blood urea. Apart from this, you should always wear a knee cap. Put your feet in a bucket of warm water with salt and sit for half an hour daily. It will sooth down the pain and swelling. Please d...  Read Full »

Swollen ankles in lower feet with stretchy and tight skin. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom has swollen ankles in her lower feet. The skin is stretchy and tight. When you touch it, it is warm. Does she have edema?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, she has a sort of edema. It is fluid retention in the ankles. Take less of salts and a low sodium diet. Please get all the investigations done like heart echo and blood tests, kidney tests. You may take a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory as well as it m...  Read Full »