Swollen Ankles

Why is there swelling in the ankles after a flight travel?

Query: Hello doctor, I just had a flight and have swollen ankles on both legs. I have attached the photos. The swelling is tender and no pain or redness. I just had a check-up one week ago, and all my blood reports are normal. My standard medications are: For HP, Irbesartan 150 mg a day and Metoprolol 50 m...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the photos. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is a common problem not only after the flight but also after prolonged traveling. It occurs due to prolonged immobilization, and due to increased blood circulation and decreased venous re...  Read Full »

I broke my ankle. Can the surgery be done after three weeks?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently broke my ankle playing soccer. I went to the hospital right away and the doctors set me up and place me in a cast and told me I will have to do surgery. Six days later they told me that the next available surgery date is in the next three weeks. Is it fine to wait that long...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am thinking that the ankle may have been too swollen to operate and that is why they delayed the surgery to allow the swelling to go down which can take a week to 10 days. Did they not clearly say so? Three weeks itself is a long time I think. It may be a systemati...  Read Full »

I have high BP and my ankles are swollen after I get up from bed. How long can I walk?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old, male and I am suffering from high BP and my creatinine level is 1.57. I am daily walking, my ankles are swelling once I get up from bed. So, now I have stopped. If I have to walk, up to how many kilometers can I walk, what kind of food I should take, whether this d...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your weight is also slightly high. So you also need weight reduction. So avoid oily and spicy food. Avoid junk food. Avoid large meals, ins...  Read Full »

I am six months pregnant and I have swollen feet and ankles. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am six months pregnant. I have swollen feet and ankles. It hurts when water runs over them. I also have lower back pain and some dizziness. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A pregnant woman usually has edema (swollen lower extremities) especially if she has been standing quite long. However, it is never tender but just heavy. It spontaneously resolves when she places her feet at least two pillows higher than her body or only by little e...  Read Full »

I am attaching my Doppler report taken for swollen ankle. Please give your opinion.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male with a history of hypertension. My BP medication was changed for the past six months and doctor put me on Metosartan 50, and Amlodipine 5 mg. For four to five weeks, my ankle joints are swollen. I went to an orthopedic, and he asked for a venous Doppler lower li...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your Doppler report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Before making the diagnosis, I want a few things pertaining to your problem, like your complaining of swelling of both ankles joints like on and off. 1. Do you have a fever w...  Read Full »

Pain in both knee and ankle with swelling. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 60 female, having pain in both knee and ankle, swollen up, does not bend knee, the pain starts from upper thigh to knee.  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you should get your blood test done for cholesterol, uric acid, and blood urea. Apart from this, you should always wear a knee cap. Put your feet in a bucket of warm water with salt and sit for half an hour daily. It will sooth down the pain and swelling. Please d...  Read Full »

Swollen ankles in lower feet with stretchy and tight skin. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom has swollen ankles in her lower feet. The skin is stretchy and tight. When you touch it, it is warm. Does she have edema?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, she has a sort of edema. It is fluid retention in the ankles. Take less of salts and a low sodium diet. Please get all the investigations done like heart echo and blood tests, kidney tests. You may take a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory as well as it m...  Read Full »

My ankle is swollen and paining after it got twisted. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I was running, and I fell into a pit. My ankle got twisted, and I could feel some cracking sound. I had a swollen ankle immediately. I have been icing for 2 days and now the swelling has reduced. I am unable to walk. I have pain when I try to move or walk. I had a fracture fibula of t...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.As there is a history of twisting injury to your ankle with a kind of cracking sound or sensation which you have felt, I will advise you to undergo an immediate x-ray of the affected part to rule out any bone injury. X-ray ankle (anteroposterior and lateral views). Getti...  Read Full »

Is my ankle swelling a sign of heart failure?

Query: Hello doctor, Since yesterday, I have been so tired, and I have a swelling in my ankles. It looks like a mild swelling, but I am scared. I have attached pictures of the swelling. Is this starting edema because of heart failure? I had some cardiac enlargement on MRI, but I had normal ejection fract...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen and reviewed the images which you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like you have mild edema around your ankle. In the absence of any respiratory symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, or other cardiac symptoms su...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to take Amoxyclav for infection and swelling in foot?

Query: Hello doctor,I have got an infection in my foot and it is on my right foot above the ankle. That particular part is a bit swollen and sometimes pus and some blood come out when I clean it. And because of that infection, my foot is swollen and I am experiencing pain while walking. I am going to a cli...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes certainly, you will need antibiotics to kill the bacterias. So Amoxyclav 625 (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) is a good choice. So you need to have it three times a day for five to seven days depending on the response. You can certainly take it now and it should...  Read Full »