Q. My ankle got twisted and I am unable to walk. Please help.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

I was running, and I fell into a pit. My ankle got twisted, and I could feel some cracking sound. I had a swollen ankle immediately. I have been icing for 2 days and now the swelling has reduced. I am unable to walk. I have pain when I try to move or walk. I had a fracture fibula of the same ankle 5 years back. Please help.

#

Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.As there is a history of twisting injury to your ankle with a kind of cracking sound or sensation which you have felt, I will advise you to undergo an immediate x-ray of the affected part to rule out any bone injury. X-ray ankle (anteroposterior and lateral views). Getting an x-ray is all the more important as you have a prior history of fracture fibula of the same ankle. You need to do the following till the x-rays are done:

1. Ice packs for local application to keep the swelling to a bare minimum.
  2. Limb elevation over pillow while sleeping at night.
  3. You can use an analgesic spray for local application (but do not massage over the affected area).
  4. Take an oral analgesic like tablet Paracetamol or one easily available with you.
  5. Do not put weight on the affected limb till x-rays prove that there is no bony injury.

|