Q. Why has my father's swollen ankle turned dark red?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2020

My father, Male, 77 years old with swollen ankle redness of the swollen area has turn into dark red, not diabetic since last check up last year, he had a stroke before and has undergone liver operation due to cancer 8 years back. He has no fever , chills or dizziness. Just pain in the affected area. He just informed me this morning. I tried getting in touch with his doctor but was not able to talk to him today. I scheduled an appointment tom 10am but i am not sure if it is safe to bring him to a hospital for a check up.

#

Hello Dear your father may be developed cellulitis or joint effusion ( due to hepatic insufficiency). If the limb is warm means it may be cellulitis so need to start immediate treatment. If it cold at the affected area with no fever then may be eczema or purpura or rash. So 1. Keep limb elevation. 2. Apply moisturizer cream twice a day for five days. 3. Use tablet cefpodoxime with clavulinic acid 200/125 twice a day for five days. 4. Use bandage around the edematous leg. So get it done CBP, PT/INR, Colour doppler of the limb, serum uric acid , RBS , CRP and serum creatinine. Please review with reports. Take care.

|