Q. I am having pain and swelling in my cheek after getting a tooth filled. What to do?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I had a tooth filling approximately 10 hours ago and felt excruciating pain when the local anesthesia was injected. I experienced pain from my cheek all the way up to my temple.

The dentist was very rushed and just told me that the pain and numbing sensation could last for up to 2 hours after the filling. The numbness went away everywhere except for in my cheek.

I have been experiencing a throbbing pain and swelling in my cheek bone and my lower eye socket. I also have a slight fever.

Is this something to be concerned? It should be noted that I have sublingual and submandibular nerve damage from a wisdom tooth extraction that I had two years ago.

#

You have mentioned that you regained sensation, which means the nerve was anesthetized properly and has reverted too. The numbness, pain, and swelling in your cheek might be due to accidental injection into the cheek muscles.

I want you to check yourself if you can open and close your mouth normally as before. If not, then it is a muscle twitch, for which you have to do mouth exercises to come back to normal.

But the other possibility for your pain might be the tooth itself, as local anesthesia is not given for a normal filling. Maybe the tooth itself is filled deep without pulp protection.

Please attach an x-ray of the tooth which you got filled.I will be able to give you an elaborate answer and treatment once you revert with the additional information.

The history of lingual and mandibular nerve damage is not relevant for this scenario because it is in the lower jaw.

Revert with more information to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

What causes tooth pain when i chew on filled tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a filling in my tooth of some metal (14 years have passed). I had flu and sore throat a few days back. So, I used Augmentin and another tablet of Actifit-P replacement. After three to four days, my toothache started and now if I chew anything, my teeth feel painful. That filled...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I would like to tell you that consult your nearby endodontist to rule out the reason for pain clinically and radiographically. If the pain would be due to secondary decay below the restoration and deep to the pulp, then you will have to undergo a root cana...  Read Full

I have pain,extreme fatigue,unsteadiness and muscle twitching.I do not know if all these symptoms are related to one issue or more.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had this problem for 8 years with no proper solutions. Please help. Strange sensations, tiredness, feeling of heaviness in the arms and legs. Hands and feet become warm. I have an electrical shock like feeling in face. I have extreme fatigue, unsteadiness and muscle twitching...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description it appears that you are suffering with fibromyalgia syndrome. This is a disorder which generally occurs in middle age women (I am not aware about your age and gender). It is cha...  Read Full

A recent sleep study showed 14+ sleep fragmentation in an hour. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old female, who weighs 170 lbs and is 5.4 feet tall. I have symptoms of chronic fatigue. I had a sleep study recently that showed I have intrusion in every stage of sleep, and I have sleep fragmentation that occurs 14+ times an hour. My sleep doctor did not seem to think t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sleep itself is a complex phenomenon, which is regulated by multiple mechanisms. As per your sleep study records, which have pointed out fragmentation of your sleep cycle, yes, these fragmentations do have an effect on your physical and mental health. Fragmented sleep ...  Read Full