Q. I am having pain and swelling in my cheek after getting a tooth filled. What to do?

Answered by Dr. Geeth Sadasivam and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Swollen Cheek or Dental Fillings? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I had a tooth filling approximately 10 hours ago and felt excruciating pain when the local anesthesia was injected. I experienced pain from my cheek all the way up to my temple.

The dentist was very rushed and just told me that the pain and numbing sensation could last for up to 2 hours after the filling. The numbness went away everywhere except for in my cheek.

I have been experiencing a throbbing pain and swelling in my cheek bone and my lower eye socket. I also have a slight fever.

Is this something to be concerned? It should be noted that I have sublingual and submandibular nerve damage from a wisdom tooth extraction that I had two years ago.