Q. Please suggest some solution for pus covering left lashes of my 2 months old daughter's eye.

Dr. K K Agrawal

My daughter is 2 months old. When she was about two weeks old, her left eye looked more swollen than the other. I consulted with a general practitioner, and he said it might have been that she sleeps more on that side, which is why that eye appears swollen. However, when she was four weeks old, one night, when I woke up to feed her, I noticed some pus covered over the lashes of that same eye. I consulted the same friend, and he prescribed tetracycline antibiotic ointment. After using it for a few days, the redness from underneath her eyelid went away, and I never experienced the pus coming from her eye again. But her left eyelids still look swollen, as if someone punched her on it. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

The symptoms you have described here point towards conjunctivitis of the left eye. It may have decreased now, so no pus is coming from the eye after tetracycline ointment, but some inflammation is still there in the eyelids. It can also be congenital dacryocystitis (blocked tube between the eye and nose). I suggest you consult an ophthalmologist in person and get it checked out. Conjunctivitis should usually resolve with treatment with antibiotic eye ointments and drops, but if it is dacryocystitis, then other treatment modalities are required. Before taking any decision, a thorough examination should be done, so it would be better to get it examined by an ophthalmologist. Please follow up with what the ophthalmologist says.

|