Q. My right foot is swollen after I accidentally tripped on the stairs. What to do?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I am a 21-year-old who is 5'3" tall and weigh 65 kgs. My right foot is swollen after accidentally tripping on the stairs. I have not taken any medications yet. Please suggest what needs to be done?

#

Welcome to iCliniq.com.

I have read your query and can understand your concern.

Sudden accidentally tripping on the stairs can cause stretching of the ankle ligaments, called an ankle sprain.

1) Most ankle sprains can be managed at home through self-care using the R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compress, elevate) method for two to three days. It includes,

Rest - Take rest, and avoid any movements that aggravate the discomfort or swelling.

Ice - Wrap the ice pack in a cloth, apply it to the swollen area for 15 minutes, and repeat it every two to three hours to reduce swelling.

Compression - Gently wrap your ankle with an elastic bandage to help decrease swelling. Do not wrap the bandage tightly.

Elevation - Put a few pillows under your right foot to keep it elevated above the heart level while resting and sleeping at night. So that the excess fluid does not accumulate and gravity helps in draining the fluid and thereby reducing swelling.

2) Take pain reliever medications like Ibuprofen or Paracetamol to help reduce pain. You can apply a local pain reliever ointment or spray as well.

3) Take support while walking if there is any trouble walking.

Doing the above will help you manage the swelling and pain if the sprain is less severe. But, If there is too much swelling, tenderness, or pain, please get it treated by consulting a physician physically.

Please revert with a picture of the injured foot in case of further queries.

|