Q. Following RCT and crown, my gums are swollen. Why?

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah
Published on Aug 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had a root canal performed before four months and a gold crown was fitted before two months. The tooth number is 14. The tooth had a crack in it a few years ago and finally became irreversibly inflamed and required a root canal. My tooth is still sensitive to pressure while chewing and the gums between tooth 14 and 13 continues to be painful while flossing. Sometimes, the gums between those two teeth will bleed slightly while flossing. I also have occasional gum inflammation on the side that is towards the inside of my mouth. There are no open contacts visible on the crown and the dentist has taken x-rays to make sure that there is no cement stuck in the gums. The pain went away once after he did some scaling and cleaning, but returned in a few days. Could the current pain be caused by food getting stuck? I am keeping the tooth very clean with daily brushing and flossing. Occasionally, I will brush the tooth with some Listerine to keep it infection free. I am wondering whether the crown fitted badly. I am currently taking Cefadroxil. Thanks for any advice.

#

I have gone through your query and understand it.

• In such condition, I would like to tell you that the pain that is present in the gum between the teeth number 13 and 14 is due to food impaction near the margin of the restored crown. It relieved once after scaling according to your history.
  • It is good that you maintain hygiene by brushing and flossing. Visit your dentist whenever the pain occurs in the gums and go for the physical examination and scaling of that same area to get relief from pain.
  • Also, avoid sticky food and do gargles after every meal. As you are saying that your tooth was irreversibly inflamed and required root canal, so go for an x-ray of affected tooth to check whether the secondary infection has started near the root end area or not.
  • Also, your medicines are proper, which are prescribed by your doctor.

X-ray of the root canal treated tooth.

For further doubts consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full

Why is my tooth root exposed?

Query: Hello doctor, My two front bottom teeth are wearing away from the inside (from below upwards). They will soon have the roots exposed and then I will surely lose them. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process? Brushing now seems to accelerate it with chunks coming out!! I have not been to ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The scraping done to the inside area of lower front teeth is necessary to remove calculus deposited at the site. This procedure is called the dental scaling. We definitely have to remove those calculus deposits for longer life of the teeth. Use warm salin...  Read Full

How to find out if I have caries under my tooth restoration?

Query: Hello doctor,I have three first molars that have been filled with amalgam three years ago. I need to know how can I find out if one of them has caries under the restoration because one more first molar was also restored by amalgam, and three years later, I was experiencing some pain. When the doctor...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.Yes, there are possibilities of caries (tooth decay) underneath amalgam restorations. Please check the panoramic radiograph and see if there are any dark patches below the amalgam fillings in the teeth. It would be best if you could send a photograph of your recent pan...  Read Full