Q. I have swollen and painful gums in my upper left molar region. Please give me a solution.

Dr. Charity Gaile Santiago

I am 64 years old with comorbidities. I have swollen gums in the area around my upper left molar. The pain is causing me discomfort, and it is the third day. My gums are painful, and perhaps it is the cause of my headache also. Can you please give me a remedy that does not include going out of the house in light of the pandemic? Thank you.

#

I hope you are fine despite the pandemic. If your gum is the problem, you can use Orahex mouthwash (Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Sodium Fluoride, and Zinc Chloride). It is an antibiotic mouthwash for swollen gums. You need to use it twice a day for 14 days. There is a measuring cup included with the mouthwash bottle. You make use of the measuring cup and pour 10 ml per gargle with no water in it. But you still have to visit the clinic for deep scaling. If your pain is due to a badly carious tooth, you need to visit the clinic for restoration or removal of the tooth concern. I hope this helped you. Please feel free to ask more queries. Thank you.

I am attaching the pictures for your reference. The swelling and the pain have increased. The pain has radiated down to the left side of the throat, and it is painful to swallow. The level of pain has also kept me awake (till 3 AM). Is it possible for you to prescribe an antibiotic as well as an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever?

#

May I know what medicines you are taking for your other conditions?

Thanks for the reply. I am taking tablet Avodart 0.5 mg, Imdur 30 mg twice daily, Plavix 75 mg, Lipitor 80 mg half tablet per day, Norvasc 5 mg, Therabloc 25 mg, Atenurix 40 mg, Micardis Plus 40/12.5 mg. Please comment further.

#

Do you have allergies to antibiotics? You can use Clindamycin 300 mg one capsule thrice daily for seven days. Please ask your physician before taking this antibiotic and get a clearance before extraction. It is best to visit the clinic after taking antibiotics and proceed with tooth extraction. Antibiotics can remove the infection, but until the cause is still present, there might be persistent problems. I hope this helped you. Thank you.

|