Q. I have swollen and painful gums in my upper left molar region. Please give me a solution.

Answered by
Dr. Charity Gaile Santiago
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am 64 years old with comorbidities. I have swollen gums in the area around my upper left molar. The pain is causing me discomfort, and it is the third day. My gums are painful, and perhaps it is the cause of my headache also. Can you please give me a remedy that does not include going out of the house in light of the pandemic? Thank you.



Welcome to

I hope you are fine despite the pandemic. If your gum is the problem, you can use Orahex mouthwash (Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Sodium Fluoride, and Zinc Chloride). It is an antibiotic mouthwash for swollen gums. You need to use it twice a day for 14 days. There is a measuring cup included with the mouthwash bottle. You make use of the measuring cup and pour 10 ml per gargle with no water in it. But you still have to visit the clinic for deep scaling. If your pain is due to a badly carious tooth, you need to visit the clinic for restoration or removal of the tooth concern. I hope this helped you. Please feel free to ask more queries. Thank you.

Hi doctor,

I am attaching the pictures for your reference. The swelling and the pain have increased. The pain has radiated down to the left side of the throat, and it is painful to swallow. The level of pain has also kept me awake (till 3 AM). Is it possible for you to prescribe an antibiotic as well as an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever?



Welcome back to

May I know what medicines you are taking for your other conditions?

Hi doctor,

Thanks for the reply. I am taking tablet Avodart 0.5 mg, Imdur 30 mg twice daily, Plavix 75 mg, Lipitor 80 mg half tablet per day, Norvasc 5 mg, Therabloc 25 mg, Atenurix 40 mg, Micardis Plus 40/12.5 mg. Please comment further.



Welcome back to

Do you have allergies to antibiotics? You can use Clindamycin 300 mg one capsule thrice daily for seven days. Please ask your physician before taking this antibiotic and get a clearance before extraction. It is best to visit the clinic after taking antibiotics and proceed with tooth extraction. Antibiotics can remove the infection, but until the cause is still present, there might be persistent problems. I hope this helped you. Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My wife has swollen gums with pain in wisdom tooth area. Please suggest solution.

This is due to wisdom teeth ... The proper treatment of wisdom tooth is extraction as wisdom ...   Read full

Can deworming stop the teeth cluttering in my five year old daughter?

.. there is no relation between teeth clattering and deworming. I would rather get her teeth examined to know if there are any dental caries or any malpositioning issues. These are some of the causes for the child to feel some sort of irritation in ...   Read full

Is that grayish color of gum a form of gingivitis?

.. seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).It is just some pigmentation of gums for which you need not worry as it is due to some physiological change in the epithelium of gingiva.The grayish area has more melanin pigment...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.