Swollen Legs

What can be the reason for lower leg swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a healthy and active 17 year old female. I have swelling in my right calf or lower leg when sitting. There is no foot swelling. The swelling is present in the calf and it goes away within an hour if I move around. I do have night sweats. I get easily bruised, feel constantly cold and...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reason for swelling is either venous or lymphatic. I guess you have undergone venous Doppler for deep vein thrombosis and it was normal. The next thing left is a lymphatic cause, so you need lymphoscintigraphy and thyroid test done. Also, restrict salt intake. You hav...  Read Full »

I am having leg swelling and vaginal spotting after C-section. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-years-old female. My second baby was delivered by LS/CS method before a week after completing 36.5 weeks. Doctor also removed my uterus as I had been suffering from a complication of central placenta previa with increta/parcreta. And I had even bled a few little clots during...  Read Full »

Dr. Meenakshi Agarwal

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Placenta previa with increta is a severe condition, so uterus has to be removed due to bleeding. Swelling may be due to anemia or blood transfusions. Take tablet Lasix one tablet once a day, it will cause frequent urination. Blood spots will disappear after a few days. T...  Read Full »

Why does one develop swelling after snake bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. I got cottonmouth bite on the back of the left and right ankle. Three people saw and confirmed that as cottonmouth. I do not believe much venom was released. It happened under shallow water. I got immediate pain as if repeatedly the ankle and feet got hit with a...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could understand your crisis. Usually in the absence of venom in the blood, the following are the possibilities: The snake bite site may get sepsis (infected with bacteria) and that spreads to the whole leg. Trauma to nearby objects during the act of escaping...  Read Full »

What is the possible reasons for the leg swelling due to mosquito bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. For four years, my right leg has swollen once in a year in the summer or when I go for agricultural works in mud fields. Initially it starts with fever, vomiting, body pain, chillness and then my leg will change to light red color and the swelling will start....  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you had cellulitis. You might have scratched your leg and later on it has developed an infection. I think you are accumulating gas in your foot and in your leg. I think you should be seen by an orthopedic surgeon sooner rather than later. You need a co...  Read Full »

There is swelling even a week after a ligament tear. Should I go to the ER?

Query: Hello doctor, I tore my MCL last week and the ER doctor told me to stay off of it for at least three days. I did so, starting to use it three days later for about three hours. The swelling my foot has encountered since then has been extreme. If I elevate and do not use it for four to six hours, the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In general, an MCL (medial collateral ligament) tear, even it was small, requires at least one to two months of rest if you do not bear any weight on the injured leg. If the injury was small, it heals without any requirement for surgery. If the tear was large enough to...  Read Full »

Two years after a kidney transplant, I have foamy urine and legs are swollen. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Two years back, I had a kidney transplant. Now, I have swelling in legs and foamy urine. I take Prograf 3 mg in the morning and 2.5 mg at night. My BP is 102/55 mmHg. I do not have diabetes. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your health query and it seems your kidneys are not functioning optimally. There is some ongoing disease process that has caused deranged kidney function. Swelling in legs (edema) and foamy urines are symptoms and signs of deranged kidney functions. It war...  Read Full »

My legs and ankles are swollen from the past three weeks. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My leg and ankle have been swollen for about three weeks. There are times it becomes normal, but I noticed that every time I am exhausted, the leg swelling increases, making it difficult for me to walk. I also wake up with difficulty in breathing, and my hands tend to go numb if I sl...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and the detailed reports, which you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears that you have dependent pedal edema, which means, that after prolonged exertion and continuously being on your feet for long hours, it ...  Read Full »

Please suggest some ayurvedic treatment for swollen legs, knee pain, and vitamin D deficiency.

Query: Hi doctor, Both my legs are swollen, and my knees are paining. I have full body weakness, and my vitamin D is less than 3 ng/mL. I feel that my entire body is swollen, and I have pain in my limbs. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and saw all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest following the below mentioned ayurvedic medicines for your problem regularly, and you will soon see positive results. Dashamoola Haritaki, take 10 g of this jam...  Read Full »

What are the causes of swollen ankles and legs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having extreme swelling from under the breast to the belly. My legs and feet are also very swollen and painful. I have gained 40 pounds in two years with no change in diet or activity. My lower legs and ankles were swollen about a year ago. I went through all the horrible heart test...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Swelling of feet and ankle is known as pedal edema. Edema occurs due to the accumulation of fluid in the tissues. There are many causes of edema. One is congestive cardiac failure or right heart disease. As this progress, it appears in abdominal wall too. Is ...  Read Full »

My left shin is suddenly numb to the touch. What is going on?

Query: Hello doctor, My left shin is numb to the touch and it has been like this for about a week and I do not really know what is going on.  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In my opinion, the numbness in your shin could be due to mild swelling over there. These kinds of swelling can be caused due to excessive loading or due to prolonged stress imposed over the bone like playing some sport without warming up and cooling down or sudden in...  Read Full »