Swollen Legs

How to get relief from swelling present after an injury in the right leg?

Query: Hi doctor, 10 days back, I met with an accident and got my right leg injured below the knee level. I have swelling in the right foot since then, which has decreased a bit, but still persists. Even the x-ray report of the leg and foot are normal. My doctor said that it might be due to infection cause...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Swelling without bony injury is very common, especially in the lower limb injuries. At times, splintage in the form of plaster of Paris slab is given for a few weeks. Infection usually does not occur in closed injuries unless there is decreased immunity or source of infec...  Read Full »

Why does my mother have pain and swelling in her foot?

Query: Hello doctor,My Mother is 55 years old. She has a condition of swollen foot with immense pain, and she is a diabetic patient. The pain in foot appeared suddenly. Now she cannot stand long or walk properly. In the morning, the swelling is less, but by the end of the day. I am taking medication for di...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There can be few possible cases for such swelling one is it is related to the kidney. When kidney function is impaired, then due to that, swelling occurs. As you mentioned, she has diabetes, which could be due to the kidney's not properly functioning. Another reason is ...  Read Full »

How to treat a sore and swollen leg due to an insect bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore leg, which I believed to be caused by insect bites. It started about three days ago and not that painful. I have no fever nor anything with normal BP. I currently have four minor wounds with a swollen leg. Kindly suggest medications or antibiotics for the same. I have at...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I understand that this happened three days ago. One picture looks like an insect bite with blister formation, the other one may not (not sure though). Are you sure this is because of ...  Read Full »

What are the side effects caused by BP medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is an 84-year-old male. He takes Amlodipine 2.5 twice a day; whole day BP is average or little high except when he gets anxious, BP gets high and ranges from 170/90 to 200/100, to reduce BP I was Sorbitrate with which his anxiety also get reduced (this happens five to six days ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, Lasilactone is not necessary now, and it should be avoided considering his history of getting unconscious with it. We should slightly increase the dose of his current medications. However, Amlodipine should be changed to Cilnidipine as the leg and feet swelling i...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for swollen leg in prostate cancer patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 68 years old, male. Height is 178 cm and weight is 71 kg. Past Problem- Prostate Cancer Surgery last year. Current problem- Swelling in whole left leg and have too much pain. I cannot move leg. Post treatment- Hormone therapy maintenance doses of Firmagon (Degarelix) injection e...  Read Full »

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am so sorry for the pain and issues you are facing. 1. Your treatment is spot on and is standard all over this world wherever you go so be sure on it. 2. Any hormonal therapy or medicine for prostate cancer would cause swelling all over the body or both legs or depe...  Read Full »

Do you think my mom has some blood disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned that my mother may have an undiagnosed blood disorder. Can you let me know if her symptoms are anything that can be related any blood disorder? She is 54 years old. Her weight is 65 kg. There is no history of cardiac problem or diabetes. She is relatively healthy and eats a...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: There appears to be no hematologic disorder as tests are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Swelling in the legs could be due to varicose veins, causing fluid accumulation. Central retinal vein occlusion...  Read Full »

Can you please explain my father's test results?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 78 years old. He generally maintains good health except being diabetic for the last two years. However, since last once month his WBC, urea and creatinine values are abnormally high indicating kidney malfunctioning. He has lost 4 to 6 kg in the last three months and his appe...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Diabetes appears to be in good control. However, due to renal disease, blood pressure must be high. He is on multiple medications for blood pressure for no...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for lower leg swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a healthy and active 17 year old female. I have swelling in my right calf or lower leg when sitting. There is no foot swelling. The swelling is present in the calf and it goes away within an hour if I move around. I do have night sweats. I get easily bruised, feel constantly cold and...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reason for swelling is either venous or lymphatic. I guess you have undergone venous Doppler for deep vein thrombosis and it was normal. The next thing left is a lymphatic cause, so you need lymphoscintigraphy and thyroid test done. Also, restrict salt intake. You hav...  Read Full »

I am having leg swelling and vaginal spotting after C-section. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-years-old female. My second baby was delivered by LS/CS method before a week after completing 36.5 weeks. Doctor also removed my uterus as I had been suffering from a complication of central placenta previa with increta/parcreta. And I had even bled a few little clots during...  Read Full »

Dr. Meenakshi Agarwal

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Placenta previa with increta is a severe condition, so uterus has to be removed due to bleeding. Swelling may be due to anemia or blood transfusions. Take tablet Lasix one tablet once a day, it will cause frequent urination. Blood spots will disappear after a few days. T...  Read Full »

Why does one develop swelling after snake bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. I got cottonmouth bite on the back of the left and right ankle. Three people saw and confirmed that as cottonmouth. I do not believe much venom was released. It happened under shallow water. I got immediate pain as if repeatedly the ankle and feet got hit with a...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could understand your crisis. Usually in the absence of venom in the blood, the following are the possibilities: The snake bite site may get sepsis (infected with bacteria) and that spreads to the whole leg. Trauma to nearby objects during the act of escaping...  Read Full »