Q. My lips are itchy and swollen. Am I allergic?

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

I am 24 years old. I am experiencing itchiness on my lips, and my left lip is quite swollen at this moment. This morning, when I woke up from bed, I also experience swelling inside my mouth.

I suppose this is an allergy, but I am not sure what I am allergic to. To my knowledge, I am not allergic to any food, but I suppose this is because of heat. Every summer, when I perspire, I experience itchiness and swelling that usually starts at my forehead, then it goes to my ears and scalp. One time my face was swollen as someone beat me up. This itchiness bothers me, and I do not know where I am allergic at. What should I do? Please help.

#

I have gone through your case. I need further history. Have you consumed peanuts recently? And any specific dairy product or meat? Apart from these, do you have any pets and had any incident of scratch? Kindly post the pictures of the swollen lips.

I did not consume peanuts. I ate pork this morning (particularly adobo) and bread this afternoon. I do not have pets and any incident of scratch.

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, this definitely looks like an allergy. So take tablet Avil / Cetirizine one tablet in the night for three days and tablet Defcort 12 mg one tablet a day for two days. Hydrate yourself with lots of fluids. Avoid meat for two to three days. Do not scratch or continuously touch your swollen part as it might lead to infection. If it does not subside even with tablets, then go for anti-allergic shots.

| 

What are the first signs of oral cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been very worried about my health lately. I would like to preface this by saying that I have been experiencing anxiety off late and I have a suspicion that some of these symptoms could be related to that. I am currently weaning off of Prednisone, which I have been taking for an all...  Read Full »

Cetirizine and Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hi doctor, When I have the fever, can I take Cetirizine in the morning and then Paracetamol in the afternoon?  Read Full »

What does elevated IgE level indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from cold for the last three years. I consulted an Ayurvedic doctor, and she advised me an allergy test and CBC, and the report was somewhat not good. My IgE result is 1157.00, and it should be below 64. Is there any serious problem?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now