Swollen Lymph Node

Does random tenderness with swollen underarm lymphnode signify HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29-year-old, married male. I have a baby who feeds on breast milk. I had a sexual encounter before 8 months with a professional with a condom. I am 95% sure that my protection was intact. Then I started reading about the HIV symptoms and technicalities of testing online. Five day...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chances of transmission of HIV by the given description is almost nil. HIV tests are repeatedly negative and after three months of exposure it is conclusive. You are free from HIV. There is no need for you to worry about seroconversion. You can forget about the epi...  Read Full »

What does symptoms like chronic swollen nodes with high CPR and eosinophils signify?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to you about my partner. She has had swollen lymph nodes for the past two years. Only other symptoms are high CPR and very slightly higher eosinophils. She had an ultrasound of her right side of the neck today, and I would like to know if you can see anything unusual. Al...  Read Full »

Dr. Ismail Kabakus

Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me start with the right neck lymph nodes seen on the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). They have a fusiform shape which is a good sign. They are mildly enlarged, the index one short axis measures 6 mm. Image 1: Lymph node with Doppler box, sh...  Read Full »

Why does the lymph node swelling persist even after a month of wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I had aggressive damaged wisdom teeth removal about a month ago. And since then I have a swollen lymph node in my neck on the side of the removal which sometimes it hurts and feel swollen and sometimes normal but it does not go away. But for the last two days, both sides are swollen ...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the image. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is showing right follicular tonsilitis with keratitis of the right buccal mucosa and attrition of the teeth with discoloration of the teeth present. For tonsillitis, you have to use antibiotics...  Read Full »

Can a flu cause sore throat with tender lymph nodes?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very sore throat, and can barely talk or swallow. It is very red and swollen with red streaks and blisters. It hurts mostly on the left side, and my left ear hurts as well. My glands are very swollen to a point of protruding from my neck and are tender to touch. I have a low ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your description and the images point to acute granular tonsillopharyngitis, a bacterial throat infection, probably due to streptococcus. With low grade fever, throat pain, difficulty in spea...  Read Full »

Are swollen lymph nodes in neck and inguinal area dangerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old. I have swollen glands in my neck which have been there for at least two to three years. I had a previous ultrasound for it which showed signs of reactive lymph nodes. I recently visited my GP as I felt swollen glands in my inguinal area for nine to ten months. I feel...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. You have swollen lymph nodes for many months. So it is advisable to investigate with histopathology examination of enlarged node to rule out the underlying cause. For that biopsy has to be taken and send it for a histopathology examination. CT (c...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for anxiety, swollen lymph node and spasm in calves?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question regarding ALS vs BFS. I have severe anxiety, a kind fo shakes when arms are crossed, swollen lymph node on the left side of neck, sore wrists, muscle spasms in calves, and on outstretch the left arm gets fatigued. I have done MRI, EKG, and MRI cervical spine.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) does not usually cause just fasciculation. It is usually associated to progressive paralysis and muscle wasting in the hands and legs. Other symptoms like troubles with swallowing, ...  Read Full »

I feel a swollen lymph node in my neck after having protected sex. Am I infected with HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had protected sex before two years. As I recall she was on the top and then later I was on top of her. During the act, my condom slipped, but there was no exposure to my bare penis. I could not achieve an erection, so she removed the condom and applied lotion on my penis. My questio...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Answers to your queries are, 1)This is not a likely situation of entry of HIV through the vaginal fluid. Acquisition of HIV in this scenario is non-existent. Your fears are unwanted. 2) It is good that your p24 test is negative at four and nine weeks. Majority of t...  Read Full »

Why do I have a preauricular lump under the skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a BB sized lump where my preauricular lymph node is, right outside my right ear. My dermatologist, who is treating me for melanoma in situ, is sending me to an ENT this week to check it out, but said melanoma in situ cannot spread. I have no other symptoms. It is not tender and...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For swelling in the pre-auricular area, my differentials are: Lymph node enlargement. Parotid gland swelling. Skin tumor. Parapharyngeal space growth. Since it is rubbery and movable, I feel it is more like a node only. Nevertheless, we need to investigate i...  Read Full »

I had a swollen lymph node in my neck. Could it be painful because chiropractor adjusted my neck?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to the chiropractor and got my neck adjusted. I had sore on my neck more in the back left corner then the pain passed down to my left arm. After checking, they said it was a flare-up and to ice it. The next day I had it adjusted again, and he pointed out that I had a swollen ly...  Read Full »

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think that because of chiropractor there will be any trouble to the lymph node. If the pain is radiating in nature, then it can be related to intervertebral disc injury which can be a past injury and due to which you had a sore neck. As the intervertebral di...  Read Full »

Why are lymph nodes swollen and painful after atlas adjustment?

Query: Hello doctor, Three days ago, I had my atlas adjusted and now for two days, the lymph nodes (cervical lymph nodes) in my neck have been extremely painful and swollen for the last two days. I have no fever or other symptoms. Should I be concerned? I had my atlas which was supposedly two degrees off ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What I see there might be some changes in the muscles which may have led to compression over the lymph nodes? Few basic things to ask before I proceed. Are you having pain in the neck? Is the pain sharp shooting or dull aching? Are you feeling any kind of muscle tigh...  Read Full »