Q. I have swelling and pain in the penis after having sex for the first time. Is it normal?

Image: I have swelling and pain in the penis after having sex for the first time.  Is it normal?

After I had sex for the first time, there is a piece of skin on the side of the penis. Is it normal? It is very sensitive and uncomfortable. I have attached a picture.

MBBS., MD PSYCHIATRY
Psychiatry, Psychotherapy, Sexology

• Though the picture is not very clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that it is normal. If there is any swelling or tenderness over that area, visit a doctor for help. If not, there is nothing to worry.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thanks for the reply. I have attached a clearer picture. It is paining and uncomfortable. Does the swollen part under the head look worrisome?

MBBS., MD PSYCHIATRY
Psychiatry, Psychotherapy, Sexology

• If there is pain or tenderness, you should visit a surgeon immediately. The swelling is clearly visible. This probably happened because of a tight foreskin or phimosis and the skin not going back to its normal position.
  • You have probably developed paraphimosis. This is a surgical condition. Though it is not very serious, an immediate treatment is needed where a manual repositioning of the foreskin will be done.
  • Take good pain killers like Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling, if you are not allergic to pain killers and visit a surgeon immediately.

For more information consult a sexologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Sexologist »