Q. I have swelling and pain in the penis after having sex for the first time. Is it normal?

Published on Jan 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

After I had sex for the first time, there is a piece of skin on the side of the penis. Is it normal? It is very sensitive and uncomfortable. I have attached a picture.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• Though the picture is not very clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that it is normal. If there is any swelling or tenderness over that area, visit a doctor for help. If not, there is nothing to worry.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thanks for the reply. I have attached a clearer picture. It is paining and uncomfortable. Does the swollen part under the head look worrisome?

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• If there is pain or tenderness, you should visit a surgeon immediately. The swelling is clearly visible. This probably happened because of a tight foreskin or phimosis and the skin not going back to its normal position.
  • You have probably developed paraphimosis. This is a surgical condition. Though it is not very serious, an immediate treatment is needed where a manual repositioning of the foreskin will be done.
  • Take good pain killers like Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling, if you are not allergic to pain killers and visit a surgeon immediately.

For more information consult a sexologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

I have small red rashes on my glans penis. What could be the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, I have small red rashes on my glans penis. It started as a small blister. When cleaned, it peeled like skin. However, if it is not cleaned, white discharge gets in and around the site. I am not taking any kind of medications.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please revert with an image. It could be balanitis or herpes genitalis. The management can be decided based on the diagnosis. In the case of balanitis, one may apply Miconazole 2 % cream twice a day. Do you have a history of unprotected sexual intercourse? Revert with ...  Read Full

Why are there red rashes on my glans penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex three months ago. I had all the tests except herpes done and all were negative. About every one to two weeks since the encounter, I have been getting red rashes and red small dots all over my glans penis and foreskin. They are not raised, they do not itch. They a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Perhaps you have a yeast infection - candida. It can manifest as redness and bumps on the glans. There is usually associated itching. I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area so that I am able to confirm and guide you better. For more inf...  Read Full

Why do I feel pain when trying to open the foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, My penis foreskin does not open softly. If I try opening, I feel pain. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Amit Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from paraphimosis. This is a condition in which the foreskin gets trapped behind the glans penis (head of the penis) and does not return back to its original position when pulled. This induces pain. You need a surgical correction and release. Otherw...  Read Full

Ask a Sexologist Now