Swollen Tongue Papillae

How to manage a small white bump on my lateral side of the tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have developed a small white bump on the left lateral tongue a week back, irritating, and pains. I used to chew zarda for a few years and quit the habit seven months ago when the lockdown was imposed. I am concerned about this white patch. I had also visited an ENT specialist, and t...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to ciliniq.com. I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the clarity of the image is not good. But I have mentioned a few possible causes: Inflammation of the papillae due to chemical burns like heavy use of high fluoride-containing toothpaste, or d...  Read Full »

What should I do for enlarged tongue papillae with redness and burning sensation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male. I do not use any medications except vitamin B complex for three weeks now. But the problem is my tongue has enlarged papillae (taste buds), and it is red on the sides and the whole front of the tongue. It is also a bit white on the top (it was more white in co...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for briefing the problem in concern. I had a detailed look at the pictures you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are no abnormalities that I can see on the dorsal or ventral aspect of your tongue. It does not look like candidiasis...  Read Full »

I feel something stuck on the right back of my tongue. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, The back of my tongue on the right side has been bothering me for the last few days. That side seems slightly red and irritated. I am 33 years old. I never smoke, rarely drink (maybe four times a year), and no HPV. I am currently taking Metoprolol.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tongue look fine. What is bothering you? Is there pain or irritation? There seems to be no inflammation as such. Some spots seen on the side of the tongue are normal soft mucosa of the t...  Read Full »

What is foliate papillitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old female, who has an inflamed looking foliate papillae on right side of the tongue towards the back, it has been like this for more than three weeks now. It has not gotten better or worse, pretty much looks the same. It creates this feeling of something stuck in the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lesion on the tongue (attachment removed to protect patient identity) appears to be an ulcerative lesion. You should get yourself examined by an ENT specialist because I think a biopsy might be required. As you might have taken antibiotics for tooth infection, the t...  Read Full »

My tongue seems to be pale and raised on the sides. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I decided to look at my tongue a couple of days ago, and it seems to be pale or raised on the sides. I am not sure if this is normal or if it is something to be concerned about. I accidentally bite my cheeks and tongue while I am trying to sleep (I sleep on my sides with my arm pressi...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am wondering where to start at first. So let us talk about your oral hygiene. Maintain oral hygiene properly, and I think you are using a hard bristles toothbrush. An electric toothbrush is not well to develop oral hygiene properly. 1. Do not get...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest treatment for swollen circumvallate papillae.

Query: Hello doctor, I have enlarged circumvallate papillae from the last 45 days. How do I get rid of it? What medicines are suggested?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally, circumvallate papillae are enlarged structures at the base of the tongue. So it is normal to have enlarged papillae and it does not need any treatment especially if you do not have any symptoms like pain, swallowing difficulty, etc. Also, there is unlikely ...  Read Full »

How do you treat enlarged circumvallate papillae?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I have some enlarged bumps and white lesion on the back of my tongue. I thought that I had a gum problem because my saliva was often brownish and I had a funny taste in my mouth. Now, I believe that I have some fungus infection. It looks exactly like on the pict...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. From the picture posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), those bumps seen on the tongue are suggestive of enlarged or swollen circumvallate papillae. There are four types of papillae on the surface of t...  Read Full »

Which infection causes sore throat, white patches, and excess mucus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat, white patches, excess mucus (postnasal drip), and small red bumps on my tongue. What kind of infection is this?  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like you have a bacterial throat infection and the red spots on the tongue are due to inflamed tongue papillae. For confirmation, consult an otolaryngologist and get a thorough clinical ev...  Read Full »