Q. I have red patches on the folate papillae. Is this erythroplakia?

Dr. Gagan Khanna

I have a habit of chewing tobacco. I have reddish patch on the foliate papillae since last month. I have visited a doctor. He told me that it might be due to the wisdom tooth sharpness and does not suspect erythroplakia. He smoothens the edges of the tooths three days ago and advised Dologel-CT and Caziq. He asked me to followup after seven days.

I visited another dentist. He told me to get a biopsy done because the ulcer should be cured within two to three weeks and seems to be a non-healing ulcer. He also told me that it does not look like a risky lesion because of its soft base but cannot tell 100% unless doing a biopsy. I have attached the photos of the lesion. Could you please let me know if it is looking risky?

#

Ulcers in the mouth can be because of many reasons, most of which are benign. We need to answer a few questions to arrive at a diagnosis. Are the lesions on both sides of the tongue? Does it hurt when you eat spicy foods? Has the lesion regressed from the time you visited the dentist?

It is not hurting when I eat spicy food, maybe because I used to apply Caziq and Dologel CT. It is regressed but not healed completely. I still see redness there.

#

If the lesion has regressed a little, I would advise you to wait for at least a week and continue applying the ointment. It can be inflamed foliate papillae on both sides. If the size or the color or texture changes, then biopsy should be done.

It was on both sides, but one side had healed within ten days, but one side is not healed. It was looking red initially, but now it looks red or pinkish sometimes. I want to ask if it is a nonhealing ulcer, what color does it change, or does it increase in size, and how many days? And if it is normal, inflamed papillae, how many days will it take to heal completely?

#

From the pictures you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears to be inflamed foliate papillae (since it is on both sides). Inflammation may be due to trauma from the teeth (tongue getting bitten repeatedly by the back lower teeth or any sharp part of the tooth impinging) and dietary habits (also tobacco use). I would advise you to wait and watch and reduce the intake of tobacco.

Is it subgemmal neurogenous plaque?

#

The condition you are referring to is pretty rare and can only be confirmed by a biopsy. I would suggest you wait for another week. I feel it should subside by the use of topical ointments.

|