Q. Why am I stressed a lot and unhappy too?

Answered by Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Symptoms Of Depression or Sad Mood? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Why am I stressed a lot and unhappy too?

I am a 26 year old male. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'8". I grown up with great responsibility of family, but never fulfilled it up to the mark besides living my life in fear from society. I managed good academics and some standard over time. But, I have also developed very poor social skill, dependency to some extent and fear while facing anything new. I do not want to move from a situation where I have fixed myself.

Three years before I had a breakup and also was idle without job. This had caused me severe stress and crying episode about which I did not share with any one. I got job, but did not feel happy about it. The emptiness and worry followed me. I got into another relationship which was lovely. I got involved in alcohol drinking and smoking. I faced a time where job stress killed me every day and I detached myself from everyone, felt emotionless even with my family, drowsiness and no sense of reality. I became so casual that only thing I wanted is nothing should worry me. If anything worried me I tried to solve it immediately with a step which might be job threatening. I lived without any pleasure, confidence, goal and routine. I did live my life, but never felt any connection as I have become a robot. Forgetfulness, short term memory loss and no attention or interest at all. Today I have improved myself and do not drink regularly; I do exercises, do talk with family and some friends, watch television and got a better job. But still, I am not happy. My forgetfulness and excessive worry is with me still. I find that my brain is continuously busy in something, but I am not aware of that. I feel very tired and lazy. Socially frightened, poor, and I am not clever enough. However, I am very polite, helpful to others and have good moral value. I found that I have not added a strong value and get easily convinced, irritated and people make fool of me. It is like I have got stuck and trapped and I have not moved on. I want to put an end to this. Please help me.